Announcing: AppSheet Chat Apps Now Available to Preview Program!

[UPDATE, Feb 2023]
Chat Apps are now available in Preview to all Workspace customers in AppSheet!

Hi all,

Weโ€™re happy to announce that AppSheet-powered no-code chat apps are now available in preview for Workspace customers in AppSheet! We announced this feature at Google Cloud Next back in October and weโ€™re excited to finally share it with you today.

You can access this feature right now if you are a Workspace customer in AppSheet, and you can provide any feedback in this thread. If needed, additional information can be found in our help center articles. Weโ€™re targeting a full launch for later this year.

What is a No-Code Chat app?

Weโ€™ve made it possible so that any AppSheet app can now be added to your organizationโ€™s Google Workspace Chat account as a โ€œChat app.โ€ Creators can configure how these โ€œChat versionsโ€ of their apps should work, then easily publish them as Chat apps for use in their organizationโ€™s Workspace account. The best part? The entire process takes 5 minutes or less. 

Rachelgmoore_1-1674672213972.gif

Technically speaking, this feature adds support for a โ€œChatโ€ deployment of an AppSheet app (in addition to the existing Mobile and Desktop views), such that any app (including any existing apps youโ€™ve built) can now be published to Chat.

Using Chat apps, your users can trigger automations using slash commands, respond to approval requests, submit data via forms, view detail or list (deck) data, or even get notified when something changes in a connected data source or on a schedule.

What can Chat apps do?

As part of this preview, App Creators can:

• Deploy a Chat app in AppSheet using the new Chat app builder
  • Customize a Chat app to run automations that send data to a chat thread, Space, or direct message (like a notification that a new lead came into a Salesforce database)
  • Use a slash command to send app views, custom messages, trigger email sends, kick off process flows, or practically anything else 
  • Build a Chat app from scratch, from a template, or from an existing app
  • Share a Chat app with a limited group or their whole domain
  • Publish a Chat app via simplified โ€œautomaticโ€ or fully-configurable manual publishing wizard
  • Integrate with AppSheetโ€™s Apps Script connector to extend your Chat app with a range of internal and external services

As part of the preview, Google Chat users in your same organization can:

• Install an AppSheet Chat app in Google Chat
  • Navigate through an AppSheet app via Chat
  • Trigger automations like sending approvals to their manager, update project statuses, request inventory checks, or much more
  • See table or row data directly from Chat, add or update content, search for and see data โ€” all from Chat
  • Get notified when something changes or on a particular schedule โ€“ for example, notifying a stakeholder when a P0 projectโ€™s status changes, or asking for + collecting your teamโ€™s weekly updates

How can I set up a Chat app?

While weโ€™ve put together a detailed guide in the Help Center, hereโ€™s a quick overview:

Any AppSheet app can become a Chat app. Just head into the AppSheet editor and select โ€œChat apps (beta).โ€ 

Rachelgmoore_2-1674672278411.png

From there, weโ€™ll help you configure your app to run on Chat and get any actions set up. While your Chat app comes with a few features built-in, actions allow you to further customize a Chat app's functionality even more: think using slash commands to trigger a form, typing /newdeals to get a list of newly closed sales, or configuring your Chat app to send your coworker a reminder to update their project status.

To get your app from AppSheet to Chat, youโ€™ll need to publish it to make it available to your coworkers. Before today, the only way to publish a Chat app was to follow a days-long process in Google Cloud Platform. As part of this Chat app launch, weโ€™re introducing a simplified Chat app publication process. While it doesnโ€™t get rid of ALL the steps (just yet!),  what used to take days or weeks of setup can now be done in just a few minutes.

Whatโ€™s next?

Weโ€™re excited to share this initial version of Chat apps with you, but weโ€™re not done yet! The team is still hard at work building additional features and capabilities. Currently, only a subset of AppSheet functionality is available in chat. Over the next few weeks, youโ€™ll see the Chat app builder and publishing flow get additional functionality like:

• A full one-click publishing flow (so users donโ€™t need to do any configuration inside Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
  • Slash commands that accept parameters, so you can view or edit a specific row
  • Support for additional data types (form fields, app views)
  • Usability and performance improvements
  • And more!

Known Issues

• Chat apps do not have full parity with AppSheet apps. You can find a full list of supported features here.
  • Chat app creators must have permission to create and configure Google Cloud Platform projects. (Details and troubleshooting here)
  • Forms donโ€™t currently preserve values across a refresh if an error blocks submission. (Fix ETA: February 2023) 

Because this feature is in preview, it should not be used for production use cases.

Ready to get started? Ensure youโ€™re opted in to the Preview Program, then navigate to the Chat apps tab in the AppSheet EditorIf youโ€™re not opted in to the Preview Program, you can do so here:

Rachelgmoore_3-1674672476774.png

Weโ€™d love to hear if you have any specific use cases in mind for Chat apps. If you have any other feedback, please do share it in this thread as well!

Thank you,

Rachel (On behalf of the AppSheet Chat apps team)

13 49 18K
49 REPLIES 49

@Sarmad_Hashmi 

In addition to the points raised by @takuya_miyai , this is not a big deal but logically wrong I feel.

My understanding is the app creator can create ONE Chat App PER one single app. But the main menu says "Chat Apps", which is plural.  Locally, Chat App (singular) should be the right name for the menu option.

Snag_26444cd8.png

โ€ƒ

@Sarmad_Hashmi 

I personnelly tested Chat App, but the last step of Chat App config of "Share" seems to be redundant and meaningless.  This is a function for sharing "AppSheet App" for which we have existing function to determined with whome we share the app or not.  There is "share" step for Chat App config.  Naturally people expect the Chat app share config is diffferent from appsheet app sharing setting, as far as there is setting section right here. However, once we hit the action icon, the dialogue for Share appsheet app dialogue opens.... Just confusing.

Another nagative aspect for Chat App is the owner "need to deploy" app even to "test" it.... Testing should be made before the appsheet app is being deployed, so it is also not user(app creator) friendly, unfortunately I would say.

As a honest feedback.

@takuya_miyai 

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

Another nagative aspect for Chat App is the owner "need to deploy" app even to "test" it.... Testing should be made before the appsheet app is being deployed, so it is also not user(app creator) friendly, unfortunately I would say.

I believe this is a limitation of the chat platform, as I understand your suggestion.  Agree that testing prior to deployment is a better pattern, and as always we appreciate the honest feedback.

I would like to be able to deploy multiple chat apps from the same appsheet app, with different configurations (like views) for different google chat spaces (one for managers spaces vs one for operators as an example)

I'm really liking the Chat bot feature in Appsheet. It would be awesome if there was a way to capture the new thread created by the chat bot. I'm finding that having my bot post in a space allows team members to discuss it as well as update the information. I would really like to be able to store the Spaces thread link in the row data to allow team members to access the thread that the bot posted to. Is this possible?

No ๐Ÿ˜ž

I still manually save some of most important thread links, by sending them from chat to email, and copying from email the link address 

Bummer! Seems like returning the link to the thread would really extend the usability of the chat bot.

Can a bot triggering an app script return data? That would be another way to create a thread.

All I have learned so far si to somehow keep track of webhooks wich bots use to post to chat. 

I actually control the thread link with custom webhooks in bots, so I can post multiple times to same thread from multiple bots.

<<"https://chat.googleapis.com/v1/spaces/AAAAxtPmhr8/messages?key=AIzaSyDdI0hCZtE6vySjMm-WEfRq3CPzqKqqs...")>><<[idx]>>

, idx being the row id from where the bot triggers , and the rest being the webhook copied from the chat space settings

How is idx pulling the thread url? For instance a thread link would be https://chat.google.com/spaces/AABAsQ1HuUg/Um5NK5VUvZc

In my example, I donct use the thread url, but the googla space webhook url , concatenated with row unique id. 

I have learned from

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tr...