In Preview: New UI design for desktop users

Hey everyone,

Weโ€™re excited to announce we are now previewing our new visual design for applications that are accessed on desktop browsers. 

Currently, your AppSheet applications tend to follow mobile design patterns even when your users have large screens and these patterns can be confusing to desktop users. The new design lets these desktop users navigate their apps more easily and access information in context, and provides an efficient way to create and update records without losing context. App creators can also present more information by leveraging the larger screens but still keep it organized.

Here are some before and after images that better illustrate the design changes.

Legacy Design - Screenshot #1: Sifting through a collection of records grouped by City and State after selecting a State (Deck View)

Arthur_Rallu_0-1659469291920.png

Legacy Design - Screenshot #2: Looking at a specific record after selecting that record in the screen above (Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_1-1659469291926.png

Legacy Design - Screenshot #3: Editing an existing record/Creating a new record (Form View)

Arthur_Rallu_2-1659469291979.png

New Design - Screenshot #1: Seeing your data in context (Deck View + Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_3-1659469291995.png

New Design - Screenshot #2: Focusing on a specific record (Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_4-1659469292027.png

New Design - Screenshot #3: Editing in place an existing record

Arthur_Rallu_5-1659469291998.png

New Design - Screenshot #4: Creating a new record (Form View)

Arthur_Rallu_6-1659469292016.png

Whatโ€™s next? Well, this is still a work in progress. Weโ€™ve been gathering feedback from a number of design partners, including some of you in the AppSheet Community, and we know there is more to do before it can properly support all of your applications. At this stage, we feel that it would be good to let you play with the new design and to give you an opportunity to share your feedback - what you like, what doesn't work, what you think could use some improvements. This represents a significant change and your feedback will help us guide our next steps. 

As this feature is in Preview, you may see visual changes in your apps as we work to improve the new desktop design in real-time. We don't recommend using the new desktop design in your production apps.

Thank you 

The AppSheet Team

FAQ

How do I get access to this new desktop design?

We are currently slowly ramping this new experience over the next week or so, so you may not see this option in the editor immediately.  

For each application, you can opt-in to use the new desktop design. You can toggle between the new and legacy desktop modes, as desired.

Follow these steps to enable the new design in your app:

1. Open the app in the app editor
  2. Navigate to the UX > Options pane
  3. Enable the Desktop mode (Preview) option - see screenshot below
  4. Save the app in the Editor

Arthur_Rallu_7-1659469291922.png

All users of this application that access the app on a desktop browser will then see the new design after their next sync.

How do I configure the design of my app? I donโ€™t see any new settings in the Editor!

There are minimal changes to the Editor for now. Mostly, the same settings are leveraged to specify the desktop and mobile designs. Let me give you an example.

Your apps have โ€œprimary viewsโ€ and โ€œmenu viewsโ€. With the new desktop design, all of your views will be accessible from a side menu. That menu will list first the โ€œprimary viewsโ€ and then the โ€œsecondary viewsโ€. In the future, we will adjust the configuration settings and in particular the language so that it makes sense for both mobile and desktop apps. For example, position values of "left most" and "right most" don't make sense for the new desktop design with its vertical menu structure.

Weโ€™ll be giving app creators more controls over some features that are currently set by default.

Is there some documentation or more information on what changed?
See Optimize the user experience using the new desktop design (Preview). Weโ€™ll update it over time.

Is there a list of functionalities that are known to not work with the new design?

Yes.
First, here is a
 list [as of July 31st] of (high-level) issues and requests that were reported to us and that still need fixes or assessments. Some of them are independent of the desktop mode, but we're still listing them here since people may want to know about them and so they don't need to report them unless it was reported for different app configurations :

General theme Issues
Form View
  1. Follow-up actions (reopen, next view, click-on-save action) do not get triggered or executed properly; sometimes it is dependent of the app configuration and sometimes it is not
  2. Delete and Done buttons are missing to delete new child row
  3. Some performance issue when there are many Enum value buttons and format rule(s)
Navigation expressions: LINKTOROW(), LINKTOFORM(), etc
  1. When used in emails
  2. When used to go to Dashboard Views
Format rules
  1. They donโ€™t properly show up in a dropdown (for Enum, Ref, etc)
  2. They don't always show up in the group-by section
  3. They donโ€™t show up new headers
Detail View UI

- In some configurations, showing the wrong display names in a Detail tab
- Requests to show the image label in the Detail tab

- Edit-in-place in Dashboard view

- Sync gets the app user out of Editing mode in a Detail View

General UI

- Improvement requests on the subnav bar (e.g. larger text button, better responsiveness w.r.t. title, actions, text)

- Clicking in grey area around onboarding view should not navigate the app in the background

- Filtering on Dashboard

- Tooltip for icon action buttons

Chart Views do not behave like other views

Localization of strings Some strings are missing
CSV import/export
  1. Error message when action was successful
  2. Export data based on what is visible to the user
Other app functionalities

- Missing Share, Feedback buttons

- App Gallery behaving differently

- Support of Amazon Cognito (missing account icon)

- OCR not working on Desktop

Functionalities for app creators โ€œPreview asโ€ is not available for the desktop emulator

Second, here is a list of some issues and feature requests that we know we are not going to tackle, at least for now.

Supporting multiple navigation actions in a grouped action

This is not something that we support. The team very intentionally did not want to support this. App creators should not rely on it and it wonโ€™t work in desktop mode.

Multiple requests to improve the Table View UI

We got requests to improve the Table View in general. The requests are valid, but that is out of scope for desktop mode. Changes we would be making would also impact the legacy UI and mobile apps.

LINKTOPARENTVIEW() not supported For desktop users, there are better options to navigate back: the browserโ€™s back button and the breadcrumbs.
Font size changes (via app settings) lead to layout issues Generally, we recommend using the browserโ€™s zoom which does a better job at resizing the app.
Background image  

See also Limitations and known issues

How do I provide feedback?

Please share your feedback in this thread below this message!

79 1,230 72.4K
1,230 REPLIES 1,230

In my experience, the CONTEXT() expression kinda works, on an unpredictable way from what we are used to because there is now a "Stack" view and CONTEXT() tries to return the right-most view and fails sometimes

Thanks for reporting this. I know this happens in some places but not others. Are you able to show us a screenshot of where in the editor this expression is being set, as well as where in the app it's showing up incorrectly?

It's kinda easy to troubleshoot, I already provided feedback about it before:

1. If Table view is full screen -or expanded view as you called it:
    • Context(ViewType) returns "table"
  2. If you open a record and the new detail view is opened at the right side (it seems this is called "split view?"):
    • Context(ViewType) returns "table"
  3. If you expand the detail view to full screen:
    • Context(ViewType) returns "detail"
  4. If you click on the tab where the table is:
  5. If you click on the tab where the detail view is and go back to split:

So 2 and 5 are actually the same UX but the expression returns different results depending on "where you came".

You can put CONTEXT("VIEW") on the Display Name of the List View (table/deck/whatever) to check the returned value

Got it, thank you!

@Summer1 

Could this also be the reason why CSV import/export doesn't work with Desktop View?  Because AppSheet can't be sure which Context the app is currently with?
I noticed that for (not a row level action) behaviors, it will not work if split view is present, so users will have to close the detail views from the right side.

Wow @SkrOYC ,  These repro steps are amazing!  Thank you!
It seems that it depends what AppSheet thinks is the active view.

For example, in Item 2, clicking on the row from table view only shows the detail view in split screen, but since the click was made from the table, then the active view is still the table.

But in your Item 5, with the tab expanded,  So when you clicked on the Detail view tab, then it is already the active tab.  Quite confusing because as you said, they are essentially the same, only difference being that the tabs are expanded.

It's literally thinking that the Detail view is now "on the top" of the layer.   As if the table view is not there anymore (imagine that on Mobile View) you don't see this view anymore.  That's why even if you click the tab of the table, Appsheet still thinks that Detail View is still the top view that's why it's returning still Detail context.

Would be interesting to see how the team will deal with this. ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish Appsheet can update new feature for enumlist as belows, so that we only click to add value to list, an we can see all value after select in form formView.png

I've been using the feature for a week now.  Although there are some small fixes needed here and there, this is probably the best rollout I've ever seen from Appsheet.  I love this UI, thank you!

Looking good for my use....

Found an issue, the dropdown is missing from this dash view

DaveWillett_0-1661178110913.png

It says 'No Items Selected' and it should be as the below

DaveWillett_1-1661178178588.png

It is fed via a Slice.

Any ideas?

Make sure your slice just returns 1 row

Thanks @SkrOYC 

What would you suggest in the Row Filter Condition so it shows the first row?

DaveWillett_0-1661180108957.png

Where did you see the setup for that Dashboard? It was your idea?

In general, when we use a detail view with quickedits in order to change slices used on a dashboard view we return just one row for that purpose, similar to a CurrentUser slice of a Users table.

Since I don't know your schema I can't add more comments for your setup

Me too. Please, how you fixed?

Good morning, I realized that the problem I am having is due to the Desktop mode (Preview), I have 1 button that is responsible for copying a row and then modifying it, but when I am in Desktop mode (Preview) and then I try to modify any of the values โ€‹โ€‹of my new form, it tells me the following error:

Magu_Alejandro__0-1661265643798.png

Error id: 417256

Stack: TypeError: n.recomputeInfluencedAttributes is not a function
at h (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:2...)
at https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:2...
at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
at g (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:2...)
at h (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:2...)
at e.value (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:2...)
at https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:3...
at o (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:3...)
at Object.onUpdate (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:3...)
at e.value (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:3...)
at n.value (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:2...)
at r.onValueChange (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:1...)
at n.value (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:2...)
at https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:1...
at ls (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:9...)
at Tl (https://www.appsheet.com/assets/7c86d27c3beea157360a6bff5a32f0444852415dfd174bf33d3c2e879193eeb3:1:9...)

When you say, copy a row and modifying it, are you referring to the action copy this row and edit a copy? Or is it a grouped action where open a form to edit this row is the last step?
Appsheet seems to be having issues with form-reopening.

Yes, copy this row and edit a copy

I got the same error last week on an app that has been in production for a long time. I reported it to support and they fixed it.

Hi @Arthur_Rallu / @Summer1 

Reporting an issue with Desktop Mode.

I have a button that used LINKTOFORM() which assigns a value to an Enum Type Ref column.

JPAlpano_0-1661423967460.png

Mobile View
Works properly displaying the Label Column in the dropdown:

JPAlpano_1-1661424015997.png

Desktop View
Value assignment works, but it's not showing the label.  It's showing the Key.

JPAlpano_2-1661424095120.png

I'm almost sure this wasn't happening last week.

Hi!  I'm sure this will be an important option for many but, in my case, it's very important that it be an option and not automatic.  My app is a flashcard app.  That means it's important for the user NOT to be able to see the answer at first.  As you can see in the image I've appended the answer and the question are shown together, rendering the app useless.

Again, if this is just an option, no problem -- I'll just not use it.  Otherwise, I'll need an option to allow me to to avoid this problem.

โ€ƒ

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 23.20.30.png

By the way,  I tried narrowing the size of the window to see if I could get back to a more smartphone-like appearance but it didn't work -- the answer was still shown:

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 23.31.38.png

Another issue is that the interface looks substantially different.  I'd like users to see something that looks familiar even when they use the web interface.  So, I'll be opting out, if possible.

By the way, smartphone browsers often give one the option of viewing as a computer browser.  I think a "view as smartphone device" option (either for the user or for the app builder) will be necessary.  You write "Weโ€™re excited to announce we are now previewing our new visual design for applications that are accessed on desktop browsers" and we use an option to test it.  However, could you confirm that the final application will be an option and not apply universally to everyone using an app on a computer browser?

โ€ƒ

โ€ƒ

@Kirk_Masden wrote:

As you can see in the image I've appended the answer and the question are shown together, rendering the app useless.

I found that the "display name" of the detail view is now the label for that row

Right.   If I understand you correctly, the "display name" is not what is showing in my example; it's the actual answer (content of the column).  That's the problem.

I've reported this sometime ago in this thread.  The split view screen does not show the Display Name.  It shows either the key or the label column. 

Perhaps this bit of information might allow me to tweak my app to work in this format too.  I think, though, that I'll probably prefer to keep it as it is  -- more or less the same appearance on a phone and a computer screen.

Thanks all for the feedback on this. This has been brought up to us in different cases and we'll see what we can do there. 

Thanks @Arthur_Rallu !  Has a decision been made yet about whether or not this will remain an option?  If it's an option, then it can only be a plus.  But, if it's not optional, I'm a bit worried.  If nothing else, it will complicate the app building process because we'll have to think of the UX on phones and the UX on computers simultaneously.

I think the best way to make apps for desktop, is to make app first for phone, and then make a copy of that app for Desktop use, and modify it. You can then optimize user experience in all areas of the app, while having the same underlying data. In my experience desktop users have more rights to edit and delete data, and are in need of more complex solutions when it comes to presentation.

Hi

congratulation on this big improvement! I love it even though is it still far from perfect. I tried very quickly and I used the ClickSendEmail App, available here for those that want to test this new feature in the same way.

My first impression was that the APP view was confusing since the menu was hidden (collapsed).  I don't know if this was just my case or if it is planned to work in this way but, for a first-time user, I wouldn't want my Apps to show in this way. I would rather prefer to have a collapsable option available and to make the full menu (uncollapsed) as the default option.

ClickToSendEmail - 27 August 2022.gif

Sorry, just to make my point clear.

franc_0-1661677394708.png

I am not a big fan of the sandwich menu of Gmail but having the name of the tables available makes a lot of difference in the user experience. In Appsheet the length of the name of each column may vary a lot, though, and therefore I think that the App owner should have some control over how to show or hide the columns name in the default view to his users.

Although that Material You/3 design was presented around octobre 2021 and I think we will need to wait a lot before we get something like that on both, mobile and desktop mode.
But the idea is clear anyway.

I think that the desition was to provide tooltips when you hover over each menu entry

Thanks for the feedback Franc.

@Arthur_Rallu  Hi Arthur - I'm not sure if this is just me, but I'm experiencing the following:

In desktop preview, I have a dashboard with a Detail view.  The fields are not set to automatic in data > columns > table.  I specificlaly have the Input Mode as Buttons.

They correctly display as quick edit buttons on the old desktop view, however, when I turn the preview on, all fields are set to drop down.

Thanks!

Mb

Hi @CorpIT can you please share a screenshot of what you were expecting and what you are getting instead? Thanks so much!

How I thought the "New UI design for desktop users" was going to be...

Wide view.png

It's a nice update but I hope one day there will be a wide detail/form view ๐Ÿ˜„

Hey @PabloDemichelis 
So we currently offer a more structured and limited approach for editing an existing record, which can look like that:

Screenshot 2022-08-30 at 6.27.43 PM.png

Have you tried that? 
If so, I'd love to hear more feedback from you and how that does not work for your use case. 

Thanks

Is there any way to set the expansion mode/view as default?
In my case, the information in each cell is short, so it would be better for me to have narrower blocks. I think it would be useful if we could set the cardsยด width so that 4, 5 or 6 of them could fit on the screen.

apps.png

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. It's true that in this config (where label and value are one under the other, instead of side by side like in mine), there is some wasted space. 

Another observation is that it would be great if the empty space between the lines of the Detail/Form view is reduced. Also reduce the blank padding between the text and the boxesยด borders. In other words, make the text density higher. I know that Appsheet is mainly designed for mobile phones, but using desktop mode we don't need this space between lines, because with the mouse we have MUCH MORE PRESICION than with the touch screen.
I attach an example comparing. I think that the blank space could be better used to have more information at a glance.

Comparacion.png
This is just a desing recommendation not a bug. Thanks for your work by the way.

Thanks, I really appreciate that feedback. We'll see how we can take this into account in the future.
In the meantime, have you tried showing the label and input field side-by-side, instead of one below the other? If you're building an app that's meant to be used on both mobile and desktop, you may not want to do this because it'll change the UI for mobile users, but it might help increase density of information. 

Thank you!

Please, the map UX filters have retroacted, now it only filters by "keyword". Is there something to activate, or can it be considered a suggestion?