New Template - Onboarding and Training

Hey everyone,

Following our last post on Retail Task Management template, we have here a template for Onboarding and Training that was developed by the team. This template is similarly styled and has explored features like Google Classroom integration. Here’s a video that walks you through the entire app.

Do check out the user guide to get started! We would love to hear your feedback on how you liked this template, and the use cases you are exploring right now.

Overview

A personalized onboarding experience is at the core of ensuring great engagement of new employees in any organization. After thoughtful considerations and research, we have here a template that addresses this very need through its features.

The template comes with three permission settings / experiences, tailored for SuperAdmin, Manager, and Staff. Ideally, the SuperAdmin will be able to manage permissions for all users of this template.

Functionality

SuperAdmin

• Add / edit / remove Staff, Managers
  • Add / Delete / Modify Courses in Library vchitra_0-1665719332362.gif
  • Create Google Classroom events 
  • Create Google meet events
  • Assign courses by role and employee
  • Manage course topics
  • Edit profile

Manager

vchitra_1-1665719332237.png

• Add a new staff member
  • Assign courses
  • Review progress
  • Engage through chat and comments
  • Edit profile
  • Join Google Meet or Classroom events

Staff

vchitra_2-1665719332339.gif

• Edit profile
  • Review courses assigned
  • Change course  completion status
  • Engage through chat and comments
  • Enroll / Re-enroll in courses

Getting Started

You can navigate to the gallery and copy this template. The template has sample roles, tasks and staff created, feel free to edit them using the Manage tab in the template or you can edit the source sheet to get started. Check out the user guide for customizing the app and integrating it with your workspace account.

We hope that this template helps you in your endeavor to enhance employee engagement in your organization. If you have specific feedback on the app or suggestions on what types of templates you would like to see in future, we would love to hear your thoughts in this form.

8 30 6,103
30 REPLIES 30

Sorry to say, but this is not a kinda of "training" nor "Onboard" with AppSheet.......

Imgine if the ones who do not know about anything about Appsheet watch this movie, they will not get any knowldedges and skill to build their own app.

Correctively, you need to say "AppSheet demo" if you like. (I m not a British, but if I speak English like my britich friends)

If I could say more, this is less than demo for AppSheet..... Nobody will show the interst.

Again, im sorry, but this is my honest feedback.

Ummm,  you do understand that this is a sample app for companies to use as a starting point for scheduling onboarding or training events for their employees within the business?  Right?

This is NOT meant as an AppSheet training or demo.

Hi Koichi, thank you for your feedback! I want to reiterate what Chitra and others have mentioned that the template itself is not to train on AppSheet but a general template that can be used in multiple scenarios where teams need specific training plans and access to content.

We also agree with your feedback on providing more educational content and we are working on how to add such content to some of our templates. 

We've been hosting monthly office hours for several months now and had a chance to respond to user questions. Have you had a chance to join those? 

I m not intent to offend you, but you shoud learn the number of watcher or your youbube will tell the story as a matter of time.

When I started with AppSheet back in 2017, AppSheet hosted weekly webinar to tell and coach how to deal with development, inviting all the uers. The session was interactive, I actually posted tons of qestions which are basically answered . Attending such seminor was a fun and joy, as my own problems were swiftly solved by quick answers.  I understand the size of the commuinty is comarable as the number of the appsheet creators are glowoing, compared with the time of years ago.

After Google's aquisition, the sense of "interactiveness" is lost completely, which is posing us a feeling a quite a long distance from platformer to the end users.

The demonstration you made here is one of the example. The majority of the people who may have interst in AppSheet just want to know how to develop the app, but you never answered through your session.

I strongly suggest that the Google appreciate for the good time (Appsheet before Google Time) , where the users get more excited and engaged in the platform wiht hopes.

After the aquision, honestly, I never attended or watched Google hosted webiners at all, as it is just waste of time.

100 % honest feedback with hope that AppSheet (Google) team consider the next course of actions internally and significantly. For now, it is bad.

As Tony' corner is gone (probably you dont know what i mean) which was useful especially to share the new future was in place.    

Google should get to know why AppSheet got the interst from the users (before the Google Aquisition).  

After the aquisition, all of the good stuffs have been lost, but it looks to me that the things are dominated by the politics inside Google. I m fully worrying about this situation.

I dont think it wont hapepn, but I understand the concerns from others.

I have the exacly same concerns with my clients, who are worry about Google may stop the services and deprecate ones. History say :

https://killedbygoogle.com/

I m one of them worrying about the AppSheet is going to be listed on such as list.

Whatsoever good staffs are explained by Google team, we alway have  a double the opposite thing may happen. 

Brillant.. 👍

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

After Google's aquisition, the sense of "interactiveness" is lost completely, which is posing us a feeling a quite a long distance from platformer to the end users

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

I strongly suggest that the Google appreciate for the good time (Appsheet before Google Time) , where the users get more excited and engaged in the platform wiht hopes.

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

After the aquision, honestly, I never attended or watched Google hosted webiners at all, as it is just waste of time

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

Google should get to know why AppSheet got the interst from the users (before the Google Aquisition)

@Koichi_Tsuji wrote:

After the aquisition, all of the good stuffs have been lost, but it looks to me that the things are dominated by the politics inside Google. I m fully worrying about this situation.

💯

We should consider Koichi's comments more seriously. There is no day in which I don't think Google will screw AppSheet based on their own ego and I just beg to be wrong

Btw, this showed on the AppSheet channel after a year with no videos

AppSheet App for Onboarding and Training - YouTube

Hi @vchitra 
I look forward to seeing the templates you have created.
I have a few requests and questions.

Integration with Classroom.

Is this related to the questions I have asked in this thread?
There has been a lot of interest in using AppSheet in the Education field. I am wondering how this sample app will be positioned.

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Integrate-EdTech-tools-and-content/m-p/468479

Standardization of Employee Tables

Retail Task Management also has "EMPLOYEE DETAILS".
Not only for these two applications, AppSheet would prefer to have the Employee table standardized.
That way, the Employee table will not be disjointed and can be used as the underlying table for the company.
For example, it would be easier to measure the performance of task processing based on onboarding implementation details.

Sample functions of Localize

Once I would like to see a sample of Localize functionality plus multilingualization with Display Name of Columns, etc. (English and Spanish alone would be fine.)
Current app templates are based on English, but AppSheet is now being used around the world.
I also believe it would help the AppSheet team understand the problems with the existing Localize feature.

Hi @takuya_miyai , Thank you for checking out these templates!

1. Integration with Classroom: Our decision to build a template on Onboarding and Training is based on feedback through multiple channels and an exhaustive research on user journeys. Posts like yours and several others in the larger community drive our decisions and we look forward to hearing more! Feel free to add additional feedback through this form on the types of apps you would like to see us build.

2. Standardization of employee table: Across the two templates (Task Management and Onboarding), we have tried to keep the tables as uniform as possible. However, given the unique requirements of each use case, we have a few additional columns. Also note that other creators may consume these templates alongside apps that may have different structures. Some thoughts:

(a) You could think of integrating a standalone employee table (could be from a datasource) with both these apps.

(b) One way to use them both in tandem could be to create a Portal app that hosts both these apps and you could automate populating data on the task app when the employee is onboarded on the training app.

3. Localize functionality: You might have checked the documentation on this already. Could you share more details on your concern? Do you need an example with Spanish used in Display Name of Columns or is there more to your question? Feel free to add it in AppSheet Q&A or any other page where we could provide additional support.

Once again thank you for your feedback, if you have any difficulty getting started with the template, do talk to us and we will be more than happy to help!

Die App ist aktuell nicht kopierbar in Schablone, nur so zu Info.

Hi, I watched the video for this App, I would like to know how you got such a good user interface. It's not the typical appsheet UI 

can anyone tell me why we don't see the PRIMARY VIEW at the bottom of this App and why is the MENU VIEW not collapsing like other Apps ?

Hi @jackjosephtz 

We have used the Desktop UI option, that offers views optimized for desktop. Refer to this post from earlier to learn how to turn on the toggle. Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot, this is an awesome update from AppSheet Team!!!

Hi,

I don't have Google Workspace. Will i still be able to use this template?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Yes.  You will need to setup an AppSheet account.

Hi @KathB27,

You should be able to use this template with your AppSheet account. Feel free to check out templates posted for manufacturing use cases and for task management too. 

Best,

Chitra

Hello @vchitra,

I have made a copy of the app but can't seem to access/configure the permission settings: SuperAdmin, Manager, and Staff. As the owner, I can't see the SuperAdmin menu. Please help.

Thanks so much.

Hi @Salvador_Parras,

Thanks for copying the template. In the source file for the template, could you edit the Employee Details table and set your permission setting to Admin? You may refer to pages 2-3 of the user guide. Once you set up your email ID as Admin, you can set permissions for all other users through the app. I highly encourage you to set up the app following all the steps in the user guide. 

Best,

Chitra

Thanks so much. Will do.

Hi @vchitra

I'm trying to add some course from my admin profile however I do not have the button ¨ADD¨ on the library tab. I'm not sure if I should enable any option and accidentally delete the course option how can I add the courses? Thank you in advance. 

Regards, 

Steph 

StephanySaa_0-1670366936594.png

Hi @StephanySaa,

From your screenshot, it seems like you have changed a few settings in the editor within the card view for Library Final. You can change the actions [Action 2] in the card view for the Library tab as in the original app.

vchitra_1-1670417040228.png

Alternatively, you can restore to the original app which has the Add option.

vchitra_0-1670416717987.gif

Best,

Chitra

I for one have found this template exceedingly useful! Quick and easy reverse engineering is so much faster than wading through a Google search or, worse, a series of YouTube videos. Thank you so much for making such a simple way for me to quickly find out how to do exactly what I'm looking for! 

Thanks @lindseybuddy

Do checkout these other templates in the gallery that have been built with the same spirit and post your questions if any!

The user guides can be accessed by following the directions in the template landing page or by following the notes in the respective community post.

Hi @vchitra ,

There's an error on the 5S Audit checklist when i tried to copy the app.

KathB27_0-1673945939098.png

Though the copy error is different, I wonder if the solution is similar to that discussed in this thread below - basically give ample time for copy to complete and the app will still copy in spite of the reported error.

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Error-copying-app-Error-cloning-app-on-the-serv...

@KathB27,

Thanks for reaching out and the screenshot!

At the moment, I don't see any concerns with the template. Could you try copying again, you may have to wait a few minutes because it is a heavy app. 

hi, i'm facing 18errors when copy the appsheet, can you please assist?
what i should do to start this app customized?

shinee_0-1695370290699.png

shinee_1-1695370326204.png