Updates on the card view

morgan

Updates on the card view

The card view has been a beta feature for a while, and recently Iโ€™ve put in some work to make it more flexible and full-featured. Iโ€™ve got a new experimental version that supports different layouts, incorporates some missing features from the original version, and has a more sleek design.

Hereโ€™s video showcasing the idea.

Try it out

I'd rather we experiment with this some before we roll it out for everyone. Please don't rely on this design -- let's get some feedback and iterate on it first!

To test it out, add this to the URL of your app.

&rollouts=customCardView

Put it right after your app name. So in the editor the URL to the editor should look like this.

https://www.appsheet.com/Template/AppDef?appName=YOURAPPNAME-YOURID&rollouts=customCardView

And for the app itself outside of the editor, here's what the URL looks like.

https://www.appsheet.com/start/LONG-ID-NUMBER-FOR-YOURAPP#appName=YOURAPPNAME-ID&rollout=customCardV...

Feel free to try it out and leave some comments below.

Thanks,
Morgan

8 114 10.8K
114 REPLIES 114

I have a similar issue to @Jonathon, @morgan. See the image below. 2nd action is not displaying.

Also note that there is a โ€œGroupingโ€ label on the top of the card (it happens when I first create a view as a deck, set a group column, and then set it to a card view). Please keep this feature! DO NOT remove it! Grouping is very helpful for cards also.

In addition, it seems that columns that are โ€œREFโ€ type are not displayable in the cards currently. For my app, it would be essential to have this feature.

Really good job with the new view. Iโ€™m very satisfied with the option to click on the card itself to send the user to another view, not the details.

Plus one on the request to display REF column info in card view.

When you change the name of the โ€œactionโ€ the card view doesnโ€™t automatically update. The action link resets to a default and you have go back into the UX to reset it to the desired action.

Also the card view doesnโ€™t pick up the desired โ€œDisplay Nameโ€ under appearance. It will be important to have this.

One more issue which seems to be a bugโ€ฆ The action isnโ€™t working as expected. I set action 1 and action 2 in the Card View and save. But I try to execute either of the actions it takes me to the detail view instead of to the form that the action is supposed to initiate.

Sean, hereโ€™s how I got this to work:

Thanks @elan_Bailey yes Derefs would be a viable work around. I also noticed the cards do not display โ€œENUMโ€ type columns either. This means we have to create additional TEXT type virtual columns for each REF type column and ENUM type column just to make a card to work. More clutter = me sad.

Wow. Iโ€™ve been away from this community for about 4 months and weโ€™ve made some progress. For me the new card view takes my design from looking somewhat amateurish to looking far more professional. Well done, team.

I really, really, REALLY prefer the aesthetic of the card->list view to the deck view. Unfortunately the bug with the actions is preventing me from making use of it right now.

Moreover, there are a lot of instances where I would want to turn the action menu off entirely.

Save me @morgan, youโ€™re my only hope

Hi Jonathon! Iโ€™m working on those fixes and hope to have them out soon. Itโ€™s a top priority. Iโ€™ll keep you posted.

What about the image issues

@morgan

Actions do not fire properly or at all when the view is referencing a slice. The actions work properly without the slice.

I have tried adding the actions to the slice directly but it has no effect.

In my case, I have a LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW() action which should work regardless of what the slice filter is doing.

Just be aware of a seperate bug related to LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW and the new Cards, if the view you are linking to is a Card view. I havenโ€™t heard if that one was fixed yet.

In this case the view I was linking to was not a card view. And the action works perfectly if I change the view to the main table instead of the slice.

When I use the slice view, I can change the action to display_prominently and it works, which should be a confirmation that the action is being passed to the slice. It simply ceases to work as an onlick event from the card.

Same ISSUE with LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW

morgan

Hi everyone,

Iโ€™ve published several fixes to the card view that will be available next time we deploy, likely tomorrow by the end of the day.

• Sometimes the card view was not showing at all in the emulator - this is fixed.
  • Action buttons should be working properly with slices. It should be working with LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW and other navigation actions as well.
  • Extra long text will not overflow across the card like it was before.
  • The menu in the List layout will hide if there are no entries. If there is one entry, it will only show that value instead of ellipses.

There are more fixes to come. Thanks for your feedback on this! Please let me know if there are remaining issues.

I look forward to testing out the LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW tomorrow, and Iโ€™ll report back if anything is amiss. Iโ€™m so excited to drop the gallery view.

Iโ€™'m specifically still seeing the ellipses when Iโ€™ve got nothing to show.

Bahbus

@morgan did those changes get pushed out? Because Iโ€™m not noticing any difference yet. Iโ€™ve cleared the caches and everything.

Also not seeing any changes on my end!

How this been updated yet?

Still havenโ€™t noticed any changes on my end. :[

morgan

Hey @Jonathon, Hmm strange. Can you try saving the card as a different layout, reload the page, and then change your card back to your desired layout? Sorry I know thatโ€™s super inconvenient. Iโ€™m wondering if the changes went through but arenโ€™t updating. If the problem still remains, please send me a screenshot and Iโ€™ll get back to you all ASAP. Thanks so much for working with me on this!

Here is a video of the behaviour iโ€™m getting:

E.g. still seeing ellipses when actions are turned off

None of the fixes seemed to reach me either. Cleared cache on the browser. Easiest part to screenshot is the overflow text.
2X_1_1603c5063abb1633427bdbc07365c564a56ded5e.png

Blank screen in chrome, android

Hey @pbabis, a separate issue has been causing this blank screen. Weโ€™ve identified the issue and will have a fix ASAP. You can see updates about that here: Big Bug in system detail card view!

For the remaining issues, it may require switching the card layout, clicking save, reloading the page, and then changing the card layout back to the original. I know thatโ€™s annoying for now. Iโ€™ll keep everyone posted with more fixes and updates. Thanks!!

Iโ€™m really trying to make the card-> list view work but no sequence of changing the view / refreshing seems to work for me. The actions are still busted.

morgan

Hey @Jonathon. I added another fix that addresses the actions in the list card. It should go out to you tomorrow. Iโ€™l send out another notice once itโ€™s deployed. Thanks.

Thanks @morgan, I really appreciate your taking the time to keep us all updated.

Bahbus

Hey @morgan, sorry to bug you, but I tried switching away the card layout (and deleting it), saving, clearing cache, reloading, and recreating the view. It still struggles (randomly it seems) with large cards and sometimes requires toggling back and forth between large and a different Card type until it sticks. And I still canโ€™t get LINKTOFILTEREDVIEWs to work when a Card view is the destination.

Edit: For anyone still have troubles with Large Cards, first completely setup the Photo Card, save, then switch to Large. That seems to work the best so far.

I think all these comments explain it a little? I think the code needs a full debug and retesting and may have been rushed to deployment to fast.

morgan

Thanks @Bahbus and @Jonathan_S, Iโ€™ll investigate these issues further. I might request access to one of your apps to help me reproduce the issue. Thanks again!

No problem. Happy to help solve and debug. I only wish I could help from the backend.

Not a problem at all,
You can use my maintenance app. This is where i was having the issue.

Reporting 2 additional Card View bugs:

Bug #1: Card Views do not seem to have a Detail View associated with it. This is problematic because a Detail of a Card may have content that I may wish to hide.

2X_5_5ba4389e4e8e238b1c135e4ccf1921ad73e09442.png

Bug #2: Actions with LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(โ€œCard Viewโ€, ___ ) seems to work fine the first time they are used, but each additional Action seems to bring up the same Filtered View as the first. You only get the correct intended Filtered View if you refresh the browser.

Bahbus

Heyo!

So, LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW() seems to actually be working for me with a card view as the target. Either a new fix was pushed through or I somehow accidentally fixed it some other way (O_O). But I have a new request on the formatting of the large cards, @morgan.

Here is a screenshot of some large cards next to each other.

I bet you can already see where this request is going. The header text area adjusts its size with the overall card and not just the text it contains. The text inside is then left-centered. The description text area seems to only expand enough for itself, but the area is bound to the bottom of the card.

So, the cards adapting size to the tallest in a row totally makes sense. But perhaps the header could stay left-top for consistency? And then, I donโ€™t know how easy or difficult this part would be, aligning the top of the descriptions text box across the row of the cards? But push come to shove, Iโ€™d rather have the headers lineup with a big gap in between.

Also, Cards in an inline view, for some reason get their headers centered.

Thanks again to everyone providing feedback. I can confirm fixes were recently released for some of these issues including the excess padding on the right and the LinkToFilteredView problem.

Hey @Adam!

Any update on the status of the card:List view action menu? Specifically, it still shows up when no actions are available. Intended behaviour as per:

@Jonathon Iโ€™m not sure about that one, Iโ€™ll ask @morgan about it.

morgan

Hi @Jonathon, thatโ€™s strange. I released a fix for that. Iโ€™ll investigate and get back to you asap.

Really excited about some of the Easter eggs. Like the percentage radials, and maps built in.

Are there any other eggs weโ€™ll see?
Also, will your be adding the ability tap to trigger an action?

@morgan @Adam

The menu in the List layout will hide if there are no entries. If there is one entry, it will only show that value instead of ellipses.

This is working for me now! woohoo!