Usability improvements: simplifying navigation in the Editor and creation of Slices

Hello AppSheet Community,

One of the team’s goals is to make it easier for all app creators to build applications by bringing focus to the core concepts and tasks and by providing information and “shortcuts” in the relevant context. 

We’re excited to announce new usability improvements to the App Editor with two changes rolling out starting today. 

First, we’re changing the navigation menu and introducing a new “Settings'' section. The narrow menu rearranges the order of the options. The new “Settings” section gathers together all app-wide settings and makes it more intuitive for all app creators to find these types of settings. Other areas of the Editor will now also look simpler and will let app creators focus on the key and most frequent tasks they need to do to build their apps.

Arthur_Rallu_0-1665003862409.png

New left navigation menu with the “Settings” menu option selected

Second, AppSheet now lets you build Slices in the context of a View. Previously, if you were in a View and wanted to filter your data, you needed to navigate away from the “UX” section and go to “Data > Slices”. We’re now giving app creators a shortcut to build that Slice. New app creators will be able to discover this functionality more easily while app creators who already know AppSheet well will be able to create and edit Slices a little bit faster.

InContextSlices3.gif

We’re making these changes because our user research showed that some of the navigation menu options were not intuitive, e.g. “UX”, “Behavior”, that it wasn’t clear which AppSheet concepts users should be focusing on to start building an app, e.g. “Actions” vs “Offline Sync”, and that it was difficult to connect these concepts together. 

Now, these two changes are part of a larger redesign of the App Editor. They are the first in a series that will be deployed over the coming months. Combined together, we’re hoping these changes will help new app creators discover how to leverage key AppSheet concepts and that they will save existing app creators time. We’ll announce future changes as we roll them out.

The new navigation menu with the “Settings” option will be available to everyone in the coming days. You can revert to the legacy navigation menu if you’re facing an issue. Details are in the FAQ section below.

The new path to create Slices will be rolled out to everyone in the coming days. You can still build Slices the way you used to if that’s what you prefer.

Try these changes out and let us know if you have any feedback.

Thank you

The AppSheet team

FAQs

How do I opt in and out of the navigational changes?

App creators can currently opt-in and out of the navigation changes at will. The changes apply to the App Editor experience, independent of the app you are editing. You can opt in and out by clicking on this icon in the top navigation bar (highlighted in the green box below).

Arthur_Rallu_1-1665004249836.png

Can I opt out of the feature that lets me create and edit Slices in the context of a View?

No. You don’t have to use it. You can always create a Slice from the navigation menu (in Data > Slices).

Is there some documentation?

Yes, we’re updating the relevant pages in our documentation. We’re also introducing a new page that summarizes the changes across the Editor. See Summary of navigation improvements in the app editor (preview).

Where do I report issues and provide feedback?

Contact Support or directly in this thread

Are you planning on maintaining the two navigation models?

Long term, no, we’re moving towards the new navigational model. For the next few months, we will support both navigation models as we make additional changes to how people navigate through the Editor. We want to work out the kinks before it becomes the only one.

When will the legacy navigational model be unavailable?

We don’t have a hard set date on this. That will depend on how fast we can work out the kinks in the new editor experience, but we’re hoping to complete the transition towards the end of the year. 

What is a Slice?

A Slice lets you filter records and columns in a View. See our doc page for more info.

Why don’t I see anything yet?

We’re rolling out these changes progressively and it might take a full week before you can see them in your own account.

22 52 3,893
52 REPLIES 52

Well, for sure all of us will add feedback once we hit a wall with the new design. The slices creation looks great BTW.
This left me with a sour taste:

@Arthur_Rallu wrote:

We’ll announce future changes as we roll them out.

We need to be an active part of this changes or at least we need some time to provide feedback instead of just being presented with a new interface without previous notice.

I know this is better for X, Y and Z reasons for the development team, but we are AppSheet creators, we are used to a certain way of working and need some respect in that sense. Well, I'm going another direction, this is a more general thing we see lately from the Google Team, not specific to this feature.

I'm glad is opt-in, it's a step in the right direction

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Not a fan.

I love the new editor Layout

I really love this new desing, its more intuitive. Great job!

Excited for the new on slices definition on Views. Hope this is tied up with the origin table. Unlike slices that creates its own inline, detail and form view.

Quite a handful needing to format each view for each slice.

Actually it seems it's just another way to create a slice rather than just making a filtered view.
The latter would have been more helpfull IMO

Thats underwhelming. I guess new feature just removes one extra step.

Indeed helpful for new users.

@ChristianLi 
@SkrOYC is correct. 
We focused on usability improvements that do not change the app model. 

It's easier to find slices on views considering that appear indented and below the corresponding table, thanks

Usability changes? Yes, please!

Combing all settings together? Absolutely a great choice. It takes literal months or even years to memorize exactly which setting is in which menu. I see that they are still all located in the same menu-views as before, but just that all setting type views are under the same "folder" now. It's a great start, but I hope to see even more improvement there.

Changing the left-hand nav menu to just icons, instead of with text too? I'm not so sure about this one. It may just take some getting used to for an experienced user like myself, mainly to memorize which icon is which. The extra space is certainly welcome. But I'm also worried that this may make it even more confusing to new users?

Creating a slice from within a view's config? Yah, this is handy, not really a game-changer though. I'd be worried about this functionality making it easier to build too many slices, which could slow down an app if they're built with expensive expressions.

What really takes the cake here for me though, is this:

Marc_Dillon_0-1665245480515.png

Hierarchical organization of each slice under its respective base table? Hell. Yes. This is huge! I want to see more simple changes like this that make basic editor navigation much less of a hassle.

Thanks!

Thank you @Marc_Dillon for your feedback and even more so for your explanations!

At 1920 x 1080 resolution, the blue circle in the bottom left obscures part of the left-navigation strip. (See this post in AppSheet Q&A.)

Which DPI?

140 DPI. (The display is roughly 13.75" x 7.75".)

Are you using windows or mac? Which scaling are you using?

Windows 11, 125% scaling.

@Arthur_Rallu wrote:

We'll be removing this blue circle soon.

Well, this is less important now based on @Arthur_Rallu comments

Thanks for reporting this @nhcohen .

We'll be removing this blue circle soon. 

Buen día, mil gracias por esta actualización y pensar en sus usuarios, les quería reportar una novedad que presento desde la nueva actualización, ya que cuando intento utilizar el botón Regenerate Structure y el apartado Behavior no guarda los cambios y se queda cargando, no se si soy el único usuario con esta novedad, pero quedo atento a su respuesta.

Si necesitas alguna información adicional dejo mi contacto, muchas gracias. dasanchezdu@gmail.com 

Hi @DavidSanchez16 
Can you describe here the steps and clicks you make in the new UI?
In particular, be sure to which "Behavior" you are referring to. There are multiple places where the word "Behavior" is used in the Editor and one of them should have disappeared with the navigation changes.
Thank you

Muchas gracias por tu respuesta, ya esta ok y puedo trabajar con normalidad te agradezco el interés, saludos.

@Marc_Dillon wrote:

I'd be worried about this functionality making it easier to build too many slices, which could slow down an app if they're built with expensive expressions.

What I saw is, that Slices will not be calculated on sync time, but on time when needed. So if a View is based on a slice with heavy expressions, the time to open the view (not to sync the app) will increase. This is good if you need an expensive slice just for a bot. For users the App seems not to slow down. Just the Bot.

@Steve can you or someone else confirm?

Slices are regenerated when the data they use--either that in the underlying table or that referenced by the row filter expression--changes. So slice number and complexity could affect sync time.

Thank you for the clarification @Steve . I saw that we cannot find the calc time for Slices in the Performance Profile. Is this just added to the underlying table?

Slices are handled client-side, so they aren't captured in the performance profile at all.

I beg from my bottom of my heart.

Please pleaes do not make this new UX as default for all of us.  Why is the preview released feature presented by default.... to all of us......

If all the users log in to appsheet editor, and then they witness whatever they see "by default", it is natural that we believe what we see now is "Default".

Preview release, as far as I understand, is to let the users to test what is going to happen in the feature. So the interested personnel could enable explicitly to test to peek into.

But currently, the new layout is presented by default to all the users (for now, free users only). But as a matter of time, more of the app creators will get contact with this new style and layout, which will cause the "CONFUTIONS".  Now Appsheet is saying, if you are not loving new (possbile) style, please turn off the preview...  What a hell.

Google should have their own criteria, Preview, Beta, Alpha, bra bra bra. 

But if we forcus on this particular features alone, it should be still "Preview".

For those only who are interested in to peek into should explicitly enable the option to test the new coming features.

I beg.

Disaster will happen, if the new layout is set as default for coming days, weeks or month.

Time will tell who is right.

I see the confusion among the users which were expected from the beginning by the new upcoming app editor style is set to "default". I have explain the reason that the legacy style should stay as default style, as the new style is still preview.....   

Why the people will see the new style when they see the editor?  As far as the things are presented without doing something by default, it should be official supported features.  Google is doing completely opposite things and leaving the confusion to the users especiall for those with lesser experiences with AppSheet.

I have seen the layout of the new editor introduced in this notice  applied to my account.
But today it seems to be back to the legacy layout on all my accounts.

Were the editor changes rolled back without any special notice?

(https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/New-editor-layout-has-it-been-rolled-back/td-p/...)

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@yj_Lee wrote:

Were the editor changes rolled back without any special notice?

Faulty configuration was introduced that inadvertently removed the app editor preview. A fix is coming.

How can I see this new view in my editor account?

Hi fellas,

Testing the new UI editor.

I noticed in integrations citing Data Studio, wich was rebranded as Looker Studio recently. I don't know if that's relevant here in this topic, but...

romulo_torres_0-1666346583207.png

Thanks in advance Arthur,

I make learning content of AppSheet. I would like to know which are and when are you planning to roll out new changes to the editor.

I would like to generate more content about appsheet but I don't want it to become obsolete soon.

Thanks!

EdC
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

How can I see the new editor preview in my account?
My look is still legacy, and I don't see an eye icon to the left of the help (?) icon up top.
Thanks for the continuous improvement. I'm a fan.

Try cleaning cache

EdC
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Thanks for the suggestion. After clearing everything other than passwords, my UX still looks like it's legacy. UX after cleaning cacheUX after cleaning cache

Now is being deployed gradually, so you should wait

Thanks, SkrOYC. I appreciate your response.
I'll be patient.

Very good