⚠️ AppSheet/Google Sheets recognized the ID as exponential function

I encountered a bug with one of my apps, and this might also affect yours, though the chances are very low due to the numerous combinations produced by using UNIQUEID().

Scenario:

The ID of the record in Table 1 is 981660e6. When I add or update a record in Table 1, it creates new rows in Table 2 through automation. However, when the automation finishes running, the app or Google Sheet returns 981660000000 instead of 981660e6 and will not return any child rows in the app

JuneCorpuz_0-1696952523067.png

(This is the ID from Table 1)

JuneCorpuz_1-1696952535330.png

(These are the rows added in Table 2)

2 6 275
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @JuneCorpuz ,

Thank you for reporting this.

One option to try is to make all the columns in G sheet back end as "Plain Text" type. I believe you may want to check if currently the columns could be set as "Automatic" in backend G Sheet =.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1696955755659.png

That’s what I did, but no luck

Oh okay. 

Yes this is a known challenge but you can avoid this if you use something like "A"&UNIQUEID() with the initial value.

If you set the column type as plain text, then do a find and replace (981660000000 to 981660e6), does it fix the problem?

The problem is that google sheet's interpreted the scientific notation number and then wrote the actual number in the cell, literally changing the value in the field. 

After you change the column type to "Plain Text" it won't do that anymore, but now you've got all the values currently in the sheet that are wrong.

• If you do a find & replace, after the column is set to Plain Text, I think this might solve the issue.

I was facing this before as well, and I believe this is what I had to do to fix things in the sheet so everything would work going forward.

I'll give this a try and I'll let you know. Thanks Matt!

Top Labels in this Space