A Step-Thru Form With Multiple One-to-Many Children Relationships?

Hey there!

I received a request to build a Job Safety Analysis app for a technician to use to visit a site, record the basic steps of a task (like replacing a wire), record the hazards associated with each step (like electrocution), and then record the solutions for each hazard (like leather gloves). A step can have many hazards, a hazard can have many solutions. AppSheet can of course handle all this with related REFs and such, but I have a new wrinkle:

The request is now that the form in the app โ€œstep them throughโ€ instead of relying on them to save the form, then add a child and save it, then go to the child and add the grandchild, etc etc. I think the problem is that itโ€™s not intuitive to have to keep saving and going back up a level to add siblings. But because this is a hierarchy of several one-to-many relationships on top of each other, I know of no other way to accommodate the original requirements.

Have any of you seen/built anything that can put a user โ€œon railsโ€ and elegantly walk them through creating a dynamic number of children and grandchildren? My requestor wanted it to be like, they save the initial parent form, then it says โ€œWould you like to add a Step?โ€ you hit yes, describe the step, it asks โ€œWould you like to add a hazard?โ€, you hit yes, โ€œWould you like to add a solution?โ€, yes, โ€œWould you like to add another solutionโ€ no, then back to โ€œwould you like to add another hazard for Step 1?โ€ etc etc.

I hope that makes sense and honestly, Iโ€™m 90% sure AppSheet just isnโ€™t built to work this way, but I thought I would take a shot in the dark here and see if any of you AppSheet veterans have solved something like this already?

Solved Solved
1 2 176
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

100%

-100%

You can absolutely do what your client is wanting, itโ€™s justโ€ฆ involved.

• You have to create a system of two parts:
    1. A system that allows users to โ€˜encodeโ€™ the things they need to do into the app
    2. A system that then looks at what the user has entered, and takes the user through that process

Hereโ€™s a demo from a clientโ€™s app

Hereโ€™s how itโ€™s put together

• Obviously youโ€™ll need to do something different with your save event actionsโ€ฆ but this is the idea at least

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

100%

-100%

You can absolutely do what your client is wanting, itโ€™s justโ€ฆ involved.

• You have to create a system of two parts:
    1. A system that allows users to โ€˜encodeโ€™ the things they need to do into the app
    2. A system that then looks at what the user has entered, and takes the user through that process

Hereโ€™s a demo from a clientโ€™s app

Hereโ€™s how itโ€™s put together

• Obviously youโ€™ll need to do something different with your save event actionsโ€ฆ but this is the idea at least

Incredible. And here I thought I knew AppSheet really wellโ€ฆ thatโ€™s some next level stuff youโ€™re bringing! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, itโ€™s extremely helpful

Top Labels in this Space