A copy of the backend for each individual app user?

Hi there. I want to ask the community even though I suspect my question is silly.
Let’s suppose that I have developed an app for individual use (not corporate) based on Google Sheets, I publish it in a store and the app is downloaded by several interested users.
But each copy needs its spreadsheet (backend) … is this also going to be automatically multiplied?
I understand that in the case of a corporate app this is not necessary, but what is the point, then, of publishing it in a store, if it is for internal use of a company? It can simply be shared with the employees involved. This is why I think that the platform should have a solution for individual apps as well. Which?

Solved Solved
0 2 232
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

By default, your app will use the same backend for all users, whether intended for “corporate” or “individual” use. You can give each user their own backend using private tables, but it greatly complicates the development and maintenance of the app. An app that will share a backend for multiple “individual” users must be designed to segregate each user’s data. AppSheet does provide some support for doing just that.

There is no requirement that AppSheet apps be published in an app store. A corporate entity might publish to an app store just to make the app easier for employees to find and install on their personal devices. But there are other ways to get AppSheet apps to the users without an app store.

How many users do you expect to have? You may find it easier and less expensive to have your users copy the app through AppSheet rather than install it from an app store. @Kirk_Masden uses this approach heavily, and might have guidance to offer.

See also:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

By default, your app will use the same backend for all users, whether intended for “corporate” or “individual” use. You can give each user their own backend using private tables, but it greatly complicates the development and maintenance of the app. An app that will share a backend for multiple “individual” users must be designed to segregate each user’s data. AppSheet does provide some support for doing just that.

There is no requirement that AppSheet apps be published in an app store. A corporate entity might publish to an app store just to make the app easier for employees to find and install on their personal devices. But there are other ways to get AppSheet apps to the users without an app store.

How many users do you expect to have? You may find it easier and less expensive to have your users copy the app through AppSheet rather than install it from an app store. @Kirk_Masden uses this approach heavily, and might have guidance to offer.

See also:

Thanks a lot Steve, private tables can be a solution. And Santiago Uribe Montoya is as always great.

Top Labels in this Space