A field in the parent record to control the same info in the child records

hello, community.
any help is greatly appreciated.
in this APP, the parent record has a Ref field called โ€œJob #โ€, so do the child records.
i intend to give the user the option of picking a โ€œJob #โ€ in the parent record so all the child records would have that same value; or if the parent record is left blank the user is required to pick a โ€œJob #โ€ in each child record.
iโ€™ve used the INITIAL VALUE and FORMULA columns unsuccessfully:
*) LOOKUP(HEADERS[Job #],Job Book,JOB NUMBER,JOB NUMBER) which returns error Cannot compare Text with List in ([JOB NUMBER] = HEADERS[Job #])
*) HEADERS[Job #] which returns error The expression is valid but its result type โ€˜Listโ€™ is not one of the expected types: Ref
*) IN(HEADERS[Job #],Job #) which returns error Parameter 2 of function IN is of the wrong type

0 4 530
4 REPLIES 4

Gracias, @Mariano_Sanz_Gil Mariano,
i read that article and understood it is about automati ID generation.
my problem is about Ref fields, reading user selections to populate another tableโ€™s Ref field, and valid โ€œINITIAL VALUEโ€ expressions for Ref fields.
am i missing something? please advise.

I donโ€™t know if I understand what you want to do. In principle, for similar cases, in the parent table there is a unique ID field [job#]. In the daughter table the [job#] field is set to โ€œrefโ€ and linked to the parent table. Nothing else needs to be done.

let me try to explain. i hope i am not going over the top with images.

this is my parent table HEADERS:

this is my child table HRF16:

the same field exists in both HEADERS & HRF16 child table.
users pick an entry in this field in HEADERS if they want it to be automatically replicated inHRF16 child records, a time saver feature:

my problem is:
i canโ€™t find the INITIAL VALUE expression that will populate what was selected in the HEADERS Ref field โ€œJob #โ€ to repeat in the HRF16 child table Ref field "Job #expressions
hope it makes sense.

Top Labels in this Space