API Adds - Can REF columns be de-referenced?

Many times we create a table with some of the columns set with App Formulas to automatically compute/update a value when a row is added or updated.

Some of my App Formulas rely on accessing values within REF columns.

I am finding that when I add rows through the API in automation, the de-references on newly added rows are not working.  The REF value is there and I can use it in SELECT's to retrieve additional values that way but I cannot seem to de-reference through the REF column directly.  If I edit the row right after the add to force a re-calc, the de-references work then and I get my expected values.

Is the inability to de-reference a REF column, to set other column values, within an API Add a know side-effect of API Adds?

Is this a bug?

Or is there some trick to getting de-references to work in this use case?

Solved Solved
1 2 176
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I do not encounter any issue with using dereferences when adding a record via API. I just tested it on my test app too.

Marc_Dillon_0-1648560190757.png

Marc_Dillon_1-1648560223187.png

-----

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your situation? For example, maybe a security filter that is different per user, so when the API runs as the app-owner user it can't see certain records?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I do not encounter any issue with using dereferences when adding a record via API. I just tested it on my test app too.

Marc_Dillon_0-1648560190757.png

Marc_Dillon_1-1648560223187.png

-----

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your situation? For example, maybe a security filter that is different per user, so when the API runs as the app-owner user it can't see certain records?

Thanks Marc!  You were spot on.  Removed security filter and now I get expected results.  I don't think Security Filter is need any longer anyway.  I don't think I would have figured that part out.

Top Labels in this Space