AWS Cognito Sample?

Does anyone have a sample app that utilizes AWS Cognito? Or maybe just a video or screenshot? I want to know what the user experience is like when using it as an authentication source, but none of the documentation talks about the user experience.

Solved Solved
0 16 1,349
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It looks like we will be upgrading to the Business subscription. So, I think that user count will be more important to keep track of, but at the same time, there are other checks in place to limit the use of the app to only the people we are currently working with. What are your thoughts on preventing 800 non users from signing up?

I found this youtube that better answers my questions about AWS. Ill repost the video as a new tips topic.

One question though, you mentioned USERNAME(), I assume USEREMAIL() works, but what about the other data entered into AWS Cognito? If I require them to enter phone number (or address or whatever), is that data available to appsheet?

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Chiming in @Grant_Stead

I tried this a while ago so not sure if it has changed. The user experience was exactly the same as if you were logging in to Google or Dropbox etc. except that you would only see ONE choice for authentication and that would be AWS Cognito.

The user experience is amazing. You can even use your logo and CSS stylesโ€ฆ
Itโ€™s exactly what you would expect from any major platform. Iโ€™m pretty picky, and I give this one a solid up voteโ€ฆ Couple of issues that weโ€™re currently working throughโ€ฆ USERNAME() returns the AWS โ€œSubโ€ which is a crazy UID that your canโ€™t changeโ€ฆ The app currently uses this at the top of the menu above the email addressโ€ฆ

The only thing I wish was that you didnโ€™t have to select AWS Cognito, that it just wentโ€ฆ

Thinking about on boarding, do I need to set up the users beforehand or can they create an account directly from the app sign in screen?

Well, thatโ€™s where she gets a little complex.
How are you planning on distributing your app?

I want to email a link to the app and have the user sign up quickly and get started.

Most of my users are technically un-savvy. They barely have email accounts, much less a google account. And if they do have a google account (or otherwise) they donโ€™t know their password. I was using a publisher pro subscription, but Iโ€™m being kicked off because Iโ€™m connected to a SQL server.

So, do you care if they forward that link to 800 people and they all sign themselves up?
Are you planning on an Enterprise appsheet subscription then?

It looks like we will be upgrading to the Business subscription. So, I think that user count will be more important to keep track of, but at the same time, there are other checks in place to limit the use of the app to only the people we are currently working with. What are your thoughts on preventing 800 non users from signing up?

I found this youtube that better answers my questions about AWS. Ill repost the video as a new tips topic.

One question though, you mentioned USERNAME(), I assume USEREMAIL() works, but what about the other data entered into AWS Cognito? If I require them to enter phone number (or address or whatever), is that data available to appsheet?

I could be wrong but I donโ€™t believe other information (other than USEREMAIL() and USERNAME()) entered at Cognito setup is available in AppSheet.

If you allow the users to sign-up through AWS, and you donโ€™t want randoms to use the app, then youโ€™ll need to create the intended users in a user table, and then hide all the views and create all the security filtersโ€ฆ In a way that if someone thatโ€™s not in the user list signs up, they wonโ€™t be able to see anythingโ€ฆ

So, your admin could create a user with email, then that emails them the links to the app, then they need to be instructed to create an account and sign in with that exact email.

Hi @Grant_Stead Do you have any workaround on this? Would it help to add an attribute? Which one would be like USERNAME()?

There is an option to toggle off โ€œshow name and email on the menu.โ€

Thank you. Beside that - do you know if any attribute has to do with AppSheetโ€™s USERNAME()?

Itโ€™s confusing and has to do with your AWS user pool settings. If you allow a username, this is what will show up, if you make the user sign in with email, then the SUB string is what shows upโ€ฆ

Last I talked with @praveen he was considering expanding our options a little bitโ€ฆ

One bad thing is that you cannot localize AWS Cognito. So you cannot translate the messages in another language.

Top Labels in this Space