Action to add record, child record and gradchild record

My goal is to add records to a parent table, then a child table, the a grandchild (All linked by IsPartOf) with a single action but I am not sure if it can be done.

I summary, the value of [Where] in a table called Actions is poplulated using a form. Pressing a button that activates a "grouped - exectute a sequence of actions" Action. The first (and at present only) grouped Action calls another action that uses the Value of [Where] to add a new record to my Orders table with "add a new row to another table using values from this row". That works fine

How do I now add another Action to my grouped actions that runs an "add a new row to another table using values from this row" Action to add a record  to my Day Sheets table using the OrderId created in the previous step, and then run another another "add a new row to another table using values from this row" Action to add a record  to my Materials Used table using the DaySheetId created in the previous step. I don't know how to save the cascading Id's

Solved Solved
0 7 207
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You can create 3 BOTs , each one of which fires an associated action of the type "add a new row to another table using values from this row" 

So your arrangement will be 

1) A) Action of type "add a new row to another table using values from this row"  on table Actions that adds row to Orders table.

B) A BOT on the table Actions that fires on "Adds only" (or "Adds  and Updates only" condition depending on whether you wish order to be added when a new row is added to the Actions table or when the field [Where] is updated in the Actions table )and executes action in 1) A)

2) A) Action of type "add a new row to another table using values from this row"   on Orders table that adds row to DaySheets table.

B) A BOT on the table Orders that fires on "Adds only" condition and executes action in 2) A)

3)A) Action of type "add a new row to another table using values from this row"   on DaySheets table that adds row to Materials table

B) A BOT on the table Orders that fires on "Adds only" condition and executes action in 3) A)

For BOTs described in 1) and 2) above, please enable the below setting

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1651422393595.png

Edit: Added some more description to point  to 1)B) 

View solution in original post

I will try to share a sample app. Could you please DM me your email address to share the app?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You can create 3 BOTs , each one of which fires an associated action of the type "add a new row to another table using values from this row" 

So your arrangement will be 

1) A) Action of type "add a new row to another table using values from this row"  on table Actions that adds row to Orders table.

B) A BOT on the table Actions that fires on "Adds only" (or "Adds  and Updates only" condition depending on whether you wish order to be added when a new row is added to the Actions table or when the field [Where] is updated in the Actions table )and executes action in 1) A)

2) A) Action of type "add a new row to another table using values from this row"   on Orders table that adds row to DaySheets table.

B) A BOT on the table Orders that fires on "Adds only" condition and executes action in 2) A)

3)A) Action of type "add a new row to another table using values from this row"   on DaySheets table that adds row to Materials table

B) A BOT on the table Orders that fires on "Adds only" condition and executes action in 3) A)

For BOTs described in 1) and 2) above, please enable the below setting

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1651422393595.png

Edit: Added some more description to point  to 1)B) 

Thanks very much Suvrutt. I will give that a go over the next few days. I didn't know about the Options setting you highlighted. 

Thanks Suvrutt. I started work on it just now to make sure I understand it, and I do. I am sure I can make it work. Thanks for your help

Not part of this question, but I now need to do is figure out if there's a way to do it 4 times in a cycle without having 12 bots and 12 Actions.  I actually need to add 4 Orders, each with one day sheet and each day sheet with one product. Very loopy.

Thanks again!

Hi @GriffAdmin ,

You are welcome.

I think we will need to find a way to run the set of 3 BOTs 4 times in succession.  I will post back if and how it can be done.

I have only just found time to try this and can't figure out how to create A BOT on on one table that fires on "Adds only" condition and executes and action. From my primitive understanding of BOTs, they can be used to run a process and trigger tasks but how do I get them to run an Action? Sorry if this is a 'dumb' question but I just can't figure it out. 

I will try to share a sample app. Could you please DM me your email address to share the app?

Thanks Suvrutt. Your help led me to the solution. I was techno-blind and didn't see the  “Run a data action” option when creating a process, I was looking in "Run a Task" for my solution. Thank you so much for your help

Top Labels in this Space