Add an overlay button instead of an inline button

Hi

I want to give users an overlay button which they can press and send an email. I have created a trigger in a column which changes the column value for the record. However, I want an action button that would be overlay, or not a row level action button

I do not want the email button to be here

Paras_Sood_0-1661727939687.png

I want the button to be just one button for the entire table

Paras_Sood_1-1661727939665.png

I have created a new column "Email" and an action for setting values of this row as "Y" when executed. I have another action that would set the value back to "N" once executed and grouped these actions together. This results in the action showing in the detail view rather than the entire table.

I tried to create another pair of actions using "Execute an action on a sequence of rows" and referenced the action that I created in the previous step to execute on all the records of the table, essentially first change them to "Y" and then to "N". However, this also does not change the layout of the button. Any other ideas?

0 6 95
6 REPLIES 6

I believe you may not be able to assign a row level action in overlay position in summary views such as gallery , table or deck views.

Overlay actions in summary views need to be non  row level such as CSV export /import , add or navigation actions. But you may not have row level data change or group actions in overlay position.

Edit: replaced a typo of non overlay with non row level

Basically, you can't.

Your current action set operates on a single record, thus it isn't applicable to be shown on a view of multiple records. Only certain action types will be shown as overlay on collection views, mainly "add" and general navigation actions.

I often set up a new table just for manual triggering of Bots, where each row in the new table corresponds to a single Bot.

@Marc_Dillon  - Could you clarify what "add" action you're referring to? I have a similar desire as Paras, but I've only found navigation actions appear as an overlay on my deck view. 

I would like to have an action on a deck view that adds a record somewhere so a bot can do some things, but I haven't figured out how to do it successfully. The only actions I've figured out how to make overlay on a Deck are navigation and csv-related -- none which I can use to add a record. 

Thanks a lot!

Billy

The basic add action that every table with add permissions gets by default. It's called "Add". As I said above, only certain actions can be used as overlay on collection views, only those that don't depend on the context of a single record. It sounds to me like you're wanting to do something that is not possible.

@1billyfw had asked a similar question in another thread and had updated him on similar lines.

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Create-an-undo-archive-button-Execute-action-on...

Yes, thanks guys. Marc - I was just thinking you were maybe referring to the Add as new row action (vs. the built-in one). Thought maybe you were adding to a different table from a summary view in order to trigger a bot. 

Oh well, thanks very much guys. 

Top Labels in this Space