Allow a user to input unlimited notes to a record

Hi,

I will be working on an app this weekend but I don't know how to achieve one of the main features of it.  I need to allow all users to be able to add an unlimited/unknown amount of notes/text comments to a record.  Can someone give me some pointers/ideas on how to achieve this?  (I have found an example app but it would not load for me).

The main data source will be set out similarly to the below.  The Project and Task number will be unique for each job and can be used as a reference between different notes and records.

ghost5_0-1681459023915.png

I want to be able to click on a Project and Task number and be able to view and add notes similar to below

ghost5_1-1681461282521.png

I could add 10 long text input boxes but this would limit me as some projects might require 15 or 30 notes whereas others might only need 2.

I am guessing that I will need to create a new table with a unique ID, Project and Task column, date, useremail and note.

Would the input function achieve what I need and best would I best setting it up as a ref_rows to get a nice-looking table showing the information?
(I have tried to get related records to work previously but it doesn't make sense to me/work as I expect it to after reading so I know that I need to learn this more).
I would be very grateful for any pointers, videos, reading or example apps.

Thanks,

Solved Solved
0 3 632
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Instead of using the Input Function, I would rather go with a new table and set it up like a comment function.

Add a new table called "Notes", with ID, ProjectID, TaskID (if needed), Note, PostDate, User.
Then within the newly created table, reference ProjectID and TaskID to the respective tables ID. 
Give the view "Notes_Inline" a new styling like "Card" and layout "list" and display it in the views.

And with this, you'll have a new table with all notes, connected to the Projects / Tasks and you are able to add as many notes as you want.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Instead of using the Input Function, I would rather go with a new table and set it up like a comment function.

Add a new table called "Notes", with ID, ProjectID, TaskID (if needed), Note, PostDate, User.
Then within the newly created table, reference ProjectID and TaskID to the respective tables ID. 
Give the view "Notes_Inline" a new styling like "Card" and layout "list" and display it in the views.

And with this, you'll have a new table with all notes, connected to the Projects / Tasks and you are able to add as many notes as you want.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

In addition to @Tammer 's indication, here is the documentation relating to References between tables. A few examples may help you here.

References between tables - AppSheet Help

Display referenced records - AppSheet Help

For the unlimited notes feature, you might consider creating a database structure where each note is associated with a unique Project and Task number. Use a relational database or a NoSQL solution like Firebase for flexible scaling. As for the example app, technical glitches happen – maybe try again later. Also, https://notesonline.com could be useful for organizing your project ideas. Best of luck with your app development journey! 📱🚀

Top Labels in this Space