Any way to see the response body when you get a HTTP error from calling a webhook?

Hi All,

I'm testing adding a few new automations, which need to call webhooks on an external API (turn.io - its a whatsapp bussiness service provider), with varying JSON body payloads pulling in data from appsheet, in order to send different whatsapp message templates.

If the webhook call succeeds, the response body from the API is logged and can be seen in the automation monitor.

If I get the syntax of the webhook call wrong, I obviously get a HTTP error such as 400 Bad Request in the log. But it doesn't log the actual response body if there is an error, which for this API gives a more detailed description of what the API was expecting but didn't see in the JSON payload. 

I wondered if there is anyway to get Appsheet to log the response body for webhook errors? It isn't a huge problem while testing the new automations as I can just test the a failing call on the command line with curl and see the response body that way. But would be useful to have the response logged for when I deploy the app into production, so it is easier to troubleshoot any problems.

Thanks
Joe

Solved Solved
0 4 493
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JoeMcFadden wrote:

However when I configure the call a webhook task, I don't see any option toggle to use the return value. This task is not running async, nor is it a reusable task. So not sure why I don't see that option. I just see:

By default it does not have that feature till now. But I saw return value option couple of days back in the same above screen and also support for HTTP Verb GET also. It is disappeared now. It might be a bug or Might be chances that appsheet is introducing new feature for testing and we saw it. Right now it might have been disabled. Lets wait for an update if its actually releasing this new feature. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Just to add to this, I've now read this help doc on using the return values from a webhook:
https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/12738438?hl=en&ref_topic=11446299&sjid=123834901138683606...

However when I configure the call a webhook task, I don't see any option toggle to use the return value. This task is not running async, nor is it a reusable task. So not sure why I don't see that option. I just see:

JoeMcFadden_0-1687420665624.png

@JoeMcFadden wrote:

By default it does not have that feature till now. But I saw return value option couple of days back in the same above screen and also support for HTTP Verb GET also. It is disappeared now. It might be a bug or Might be chances that appsheet is introducing new feature for testing and we saw it. Right now it might have been disabled. Lets wait for an update if its actually releasing this new feature. 

@JoeMcFadden wrote:

Just to add to this, I've now read this help doc on using the return values from a webhook:
https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/12738438?hl=en&ref_topic=11446299&sjid=123834901138683606...

I just saw this post right now. Looks like a new feature but I did not see it in any announcement. If its in docs it should be visible in our accounts in coming days.

Hi Rifad, it took a long while to roll out it seems, but the option is now available for our Appsheet Core account. Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space