App Crashes on iOS Devices

Hello, 

I've already submitted a ticket with the support team with appsheets and looks like they are still trying to figure it out. Wondering if anyone here is experiencing frequent crashes on iOS. We've installed it on android devices and its running smoothly. We have 4 iPads in my business and we've just been using the browser instead of the app. Is there a setting that is causing this on the iOS devices someone have found that causes the crashes?  

Side Note: Using appsheets for 5 years now. Familiar with appsheets. We noticed the crashes started with the new iOS update in November of 2021

1 15 291
15 REPLIES 15

November 2020??

I have a number of clients who have customers using their apps on iOS devices and have not heard of any complaints about crashing.

typo. 2021. thats interesting

we have uninstalled appsheets and reinstalled and hasn't proved effective

After iOS is moved to vers 14.n, we observed this frequent crashes, and this has not been solved so far.  At the end, we are not able to use our app with iOS mobile phone for a long time.  

In terms of just "tendency" this "crash" happens to app with advanced (complex) configulation, but not exactly able to quantify when and how this crash problem happens, but a glitch is surely there.

Do you know if AppSheet is aware of the problem?

I just simply hope so. But this discussion is lasting more than 6 months. Not sure if they are attending to this case or not. 

yes ive submitted a ticket but still working on a solution on their side

--
Ryond E,
P1 Smart Repairs
Cell: 206-992-3850

My apps crash regularly. They are essentially utility inspection apps for field use. They run on cell iPads always updated to the latest iOS. While they are definitely "big" apps, I can never tell when it is bad cell signal, iPad memory limitations, or whatever else might be the cause. Seems to happen most frequently when we are adding lots of rows in relatively quick succession. 

I am definitely interested in the new iPad Air with 5G and the M1 chip. If there is anything to improve on AppSheet's side, I don't doubt they are always working on it. 

I would love a more consistent user experience. The crash reports become really discouraging.

Out of curiosity, what is your AppSheet app version on your mobile for now?

Hi @Koichi_Tsuji , all of our apps should be updated. There is a chance someone is not on the latest version (which came out a week ago, I think), but the crash issue is a recurring problem. I am sure it is a combination of app sizes, cellular signal, and iPad limitations. They are the latest, non-pro iPads.

I actually reported this issue (frequent crash on iOS app) for months, and almost for a year to AppSheet dev team.  Our apps have been utterly unusable due to crash or not able to launch due to the crash.

Last week, AppSheet iOS app version 14.7 supposedly released.  I upgraded to this latest version. Then it appears to me there is improvement, Apps not merely crashing, while they are crashed all the time. 

Just for your guidance.

If you are not on vers 14.7, then I suggest you upgrade to the latest.

Thank you for that reminder. I will make sure to check tomorrow. I was considering breaking my app into even more pieces than I already have,  but it would be great if I didn't have to do that.

Yes, check and try them out to see if or not your users are on the latest version of 14.7. If not just install to see if it will bring any differences. I m curious to know what happens to you. Cheers and good luck.

This thread is about a year old now but I wonder if I may not be experiencing the problem described here.  In my case, the "crash" is an unexpected restart.  In other words, in a situation where the app would not normally need to sync, the screen suddenly goes white and then the app seems to start up again.  It says it is syncing but, in fact, unsynced data remains after the restart.  This leads to incorrect data being displayed temporarily.  If I manually sync the app after that the app displays data correctly.  I am concerned about both the unexpected restarting (need to wait) and the confusion that can be caused by the temporary display of incorrect data.  Am I experiencing the same kind of "crash" as referred to by others in this thread?  Or, are unexpected restarts a different phenomenon?

By the way, I don't seem to have any sync errors so I wonder if the issue is inside the iPhone:
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 12.43.47.png

Top Labels in this Space