App sheet need data from a form view to populate a specific row in the database and execute a macro

I am working on building an active inventory management solution for the company I work for. I had built our existing sheets spreadsheet to automatically add a new row with data from row 3, and sort all rows below row 3 when a macro button is pressed. I would like to integrate this. Any ideas on what I can use?

0 8 134
8 REPLIES 8

It sounds like Appsheet should be able to do this fine.  But you need to give us some more information on exactly what it is you Macro does.

Simon@1minManager.com

The macro arranges the entire sheet by sorting the rows based on a model year column. We use the spreadsheet to track our vehicle inventory which is sorted by model year low to high. When using sheets I can use the macro fine and everything works, however when adding a new entry into the database in AppSheet it adds a row to the very bottom of the sheet (hidden) and bypasses all formatting. I need the entry to either go immediately to the correct spot in the sheet or to input a new row below my frozen header rows and then automatically sort.

Firstly let me say in Appsheets its generally bad practice to go around changing the column order.  You may have some formulas that end up using [_RowNumber].

You're options are really any of these:

1. Create a bot that outputs to a PDF report
  2. Create a bot that outputs to an XLS file
  3. Create another tab in your spreadsheet that pulls in data from the tab that appsheet uses, then run your macro on this one

The order of the rows changes not the columns. Column data is used to filter and sort.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

AppSheet is not designed to work as you want. You will have problems if you try to make it work with your spreadsheet.

What would I need to do to add data to a specific row on a seperate new sheet then? I can set up a script to auto filter and move data from there. My biggest issue has been trying to get the form to save data into specific cells in a specific row. 

If this is not possible I can try to find a new way to do it in a new sheet.

AppSheet will always add new rows to the bottom of the spreadsheet. You could replace an existing row instead.

Whatever you're trying to do, AppSheet does not support it. Your app will break in surprising, unexpected, and frustrating ways. It will be difficult for others to support. I strongly advise against your course of action.

In other words, think of your data as a database that you won't change in any unnecesary way.

Keep all interaction with your data inside AppSheet.

I think that AppSheet can do a lot, but learn the AppSheet way

Top Labels in this Space