AppSheet Automation: Expression '[X]' is invalid due to: Unable to find column 'X'.

V-A
Silver 1
Silver 1

Creating an AppSheet email bot, I used the below in the email body (per AppSheet documentation here) :

<b>Date: </b>&lt;&lt;[Date]&gt;&gt;
<b>Title: </b>&lt;&lt;[Title]&gt;&gt;
<b>Notes: </b>&lt;&lt;[Notes]&gt;&gt;

The email received displays the column name, as below, without their values:

Date: <<[Date]>>
Title: <<[Title]>>
Notes: <<[Notes]>>

Using the below content for the email body (per AppSheet documentation here) returns the "Unable to find column 'X'" for each column:

<b>Date: </b><<[Date]>>
<b>Title: </b><<[Title]>>
<b>Notes: </b><<[Notes]>>

Which documentation is correct and how do I fix this?  Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 6 283
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your suggestion of using the symbols ("<<" and ">>") and applying the LOOKUP function as illustrated here by another forum member, and pasted below, resolved the problem .

If it helps anyone else, the expression template and expression applied are below.

Template to LOOKUP the last row in "My Table" (i.e. MAX(My Table[_ROWNUMBER]) and return the value of "Wanted Column" in that _ROWNUMBER: 

LOOKUP(
  MAX(My Table[_ROWNUMBER]),
  "My Table",
  "_ROWNUMBER",
  "Wanted Column"
)

The correct email body setting for the most recent row's "Date" column is set as:

<b>Date: </b><<LOOKUP(MAX(Entries[_ROWNUMBER]),"Entries","_ROWNUMBER","Date")>>

Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

You are simply filling out the "email body" field in the Task config? The latter one is correct. The former is for an html template file I believe.

As for the "unable to find..." error. My guess is that you're using a scheduled bot, instead of a data-change or forEveryRow bot. Is that correct? If you're wanting to output the values from a single record in your email, you'd need one of those other types. You haven't described what you're trying to do so I can't really help any more than that.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/4865307-appsheet-automation-the-essentials

Thanks for the tips and link.  Yes, I'm using the "email body" field for a task to send daily emails of certain columns of the last row, i.e. the prior day.

Could you elaborate on sending a single record in the daily email for this task?

Your suggestion of using the symbols ("<<" and ">>") and applying the LOOKUP function as illustrated here by another forum member, and pasted below, resolved the problem .

If it helps anyone else, the expression template and expression applied are below.

Template to LOOKUP the last row in "My Table" (i.e. MAX(My Table[_ROWNUMBER]) and return the value of "Wanted Column" in that _ROWNUMBER: 

LOOKUP(
  MAX(My Table[_ROWNUMBER]),
  "My Table",
  "_ROWNUMBER",
  "Wanted Column"
)

The correct email body setting for the most recent row's "Date" column is set as:

<b>Date: </b><<LOOKUP(MAX(Entries[_ROWNUMBER]),"Entries","_ROWNUMBER","Date")>>

Thanks.

Good job. LOOKUP certainly works. If you have more than a few columns to display, I'd personally use a START expression to move into the context of the single record just once, then you can simply pull the columns with simpler syntax of just <<[column]>>

I've looked at the START documentation and haven't nailed the expression yet.  Could you point out how to apply it here to get the last row's date?

START:LIST(MAXROW(

Top Labels in this Space