Assigning the same truck Number to the selected rows

Hello AppCreators, 

I have a column "Truck Number" in my "Shipments table"

truck number is auto generated ID 

I would like to creat an action bottom (set the value of some columns in this row) that will give the same truck number for the selected rows. 

I did creat the action and placed it , but instead of giving the SAME Truck Number to the manually selected rows, it's generating different Truck number for every selected row .

Example: 

User select three rows, press that action bottom, same "truck number" will be assigned to the three rows 

any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Solved Solved
0 2 74
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I think what you are seeing is normal as you have defined it as an ID column.

Try renaming the column to Truck Order Number ID and create a virtual column to assign that shipment to the same truck such as Truck for Shipment.

In this way, the ID column keeps track of all orders to be shipped and the other allocates which shipments must be assigned to any particular truck and for which you could use GIS, postal code, area, state etc as criteria to allocate shipments to any particular truck.

So if you get 100 shipments 20 could be allocated to truck1 (based on criteria) 40 to truck2 (based on criteria) and so on. In this way it helps with batch shipment dispatching.

Somewhere else you will have to have a list of trucks and also a list allocating the criteria you require for any shipment to be placed in that truck.

ie  Truck List      Truck Allocation Criteria

Truck 1           State 1

Truck 2          State 2

So here all shipments bound for State 1 will be allocated to Truck 1 and the same for Truck 2 etc.

You could create a view which presents all the shipments and then another view using a table in edit mode to do the reallocation.

Hope this helps and that I am the right track !

View solution in original post

The way I read you post is that I believe you want to assign an auto-generated tracking number/id to a selected set of shipments. If so... the way I usually implement this type of operation is as follows

1.  Create a control table with useremail (key), truck number and set a security filter so each user has one row dedicated to him/her. You can create an action to generate and set UNIQUEID() to the truck number.
  2. Create an action on Shipments to set the values of some columns and using the truck number retrieved from the control table - ANY(SELECT(control[truck no], true)).
  3. (optional) Create a dashboard to display both the control table and Shipments for easy control editing. Unfortunately as discussed here, bulk action is not available within a dashboard view and you have to implement something else, perhaps using actions to jump around views or just use the default navigation buttons....

I could be completely mistaken, in which case, simply ignore this post.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I think what you are seeing is normal as you have defined it as an ID column.

Try renaming the column to Truck Order Number ID and create a virtual column to assign that shipment to the same truck such as Truck for Shipment.

In this way, the ID column keeps track of all orders to be shipped and the other allocates which shipments must be assigned to any particular truck and for which you could use GIS, postal code, area, state etc as criteria to allocate shipments to any particular truck.

So if you get 100 shipments 20 could be allocated to truck1 (based on criteria) 40 to truck2 (based on criteria) and so on. In this way it helps with batch shipment dispatching.

Somewhere else you will have to have a list of trucks and also a list allocating the criteria you require for any shipment to be placed in that truck.

ie  Truck List      Truck Allocation Criteria

Truck 1           State 1

Truck 2          State 2

So here all shipments bound for State 1 will be allocated to Truck 1 and the same for Truck 2 etc.

You could create a view which presents all the shipments and then another view using a table in edit mode to do the reallocation.

Hope this helps and that I am the right track !

The way I read you post is that I believe you want to assign an auto-generated tracking number/id to a selected set of shipments. If so... the way I usually implement this type of operation is as follows

1.  Create a control table with useremail (key), truck number and set a security filter so each user has one row dedicated to him/her. You can create an action to generate and set UNIQUEID() to the truck number.
  2. Create an action on Shipments to set the values of some columns and using the truck number retrieved from the control table - ANY(SELECT(control[truck no], true)).
  3. (optional) Create a dashboard to display both the control table and Shipments for easy control editing. Unfortunately as discussed here, bulk action is not available within a dashboard view and you have to implement something else, perhaps using actions to jump around views or just use the default navigation buttons....

I could be completely mistaken, in which case, simply ignore this post.

Top Labels in this Space