Attaching a child to an existing parent

I'd like to build a UX that allows the user to associate a child with an existing parent. Here's my data model:

• Table Skis: Ski ID (key), Brand, Length
  • Table Boots: Boot ID (key), Brand, Size
  • Table Athletes: Athlete ID (key), Name
  • Table Loans: Loan ID (key), Athlete ID (ref), Ski ID (ref), Boot ID (ref)

The easy UX is the Form to create a new Loan and choose an existing Athlete, Ski, and Boot.

The sequence that I also want to create is:

1. Select a Ski using the Skis View (I'm using barcodes for the IDs, so scanning is a convenient way to find equipment)
  2. From the Ski Detail add the Ski to an existing Loan.

In step 2, Appsheet lets me create a new loan from the inline Loans view, but I can't figure out how to let the user select from a list of existing loans. Sometimes we hand out equipment one part at a time, instead of all at once, which is why I want to support this sequence.

Alternatively, I'd be happy with being able to use the barcode scanner in the ref popup when creating or editing a Loan. But I haven't figured out a way to customize the ref popup either.

0 2 61
2 REPLIES 2

Hi

For your alternative idea, at least I can make a ref col scanable to pop up a smartphone reader simply by checking the SCAN? box.

Would n't this suffice?

Thanks @TeeSee1! That simple change made a big difference in usability. I'm going to leave this thread open for a bit longer to see if anyone has a solution to the child-to-parent case too. But your suggestion is great.

Top Labels in this Space