Auto Number Reports Using Multiple Tables

I have an app that generates two kinds of reports each day. The two tables I am using are โ€œTest Resultsโ€ and the other is โ€œDaily Reportโ€

โ€œTest Resultsโ€ have multiple tests per day that make up one report. โ€œDaily Reportโ€ is a single document generated daily.

I need to be able to sequentially number the reports. For instance, the โ€œTest Resultsโ€ report would be 0001 today and โ€œDaily Reportโ€ would be 0002 today.

Tomorrow, โ€œTest Resultsโ€ would be 0003 and โ€œDaily Reportโ€ would be 0004. So on and so forthโ€ฆ

I have a [unique] column and a [date:] column in โ€œDaily Reportโ€ table, and I have a [key] column and [date] column in the โ€œTest Resultsโ€ table. I have been trying to figure this out using these but canโ€™t get it right. Every day a new report will be generated HOWEVER not every day both of these reports will be generated. I will be adding more tables (one table = one report) so any advice on how to continue this numbering sequence using multiple tables would be hugely appreciated!!! Additional reports (tables) will be labeled โ€œFieldโ€, โ€œLabโ€, โ€œWetโ€, โ€œDryโ€

Could someone tell me if I am doing this right and help me please. Very much appreciated in advance!

0 3 135
3 REPLIES 3

I assume your intent is to have a unique sequential number for each report across all the tables - Test Results, Daily Report, Field Report, Lab Report, Wet Report, Dry Report?

First, the cautionary taleโ€ฆ

โ€ฆBecause AppSheet is a distributed mobile system, it is near impossible WITH CONCURRENT PROCESSING to correctly maintain a sequential sequence. In other words, if your system has the possibility of multiple users performing reports simultaneously OR having the system trigger reports concurrently, you will likely encounter issues with the sequential numbering.

If it is not necessary to use sequential numbering then I would recommend not even attempting it. Just assign an ID with the UNIQUEID() function and move on.

On the other hand, if your reports will be automatically generated, say by a bot at the end of the day, then you can manage the sequential number by scheduling the report bots to run with ample time in between to prevent any conflicts with numbering - maybe set them to run 5 minutes apart.

Ok, now on to my recommendation to easily handle the sequential numberingโ€ฆ

โ€ฆI would recommend introducing a Reports table that acts as a Parent table. This table would track all of the common details about the reports - Report ID (your sequential number), Date ran, Date(s) reported on, Report Type, Report Title, Description, etc. Your other tables would contain all of the other report specific details and would use the Report ID to tie the two tables together.

With this Parent/Child setup, you can easily assign the next Report ID with an expression like MAX(Reports[Report ID]) + 1. More importantly, you will have all of the common report details in a single place which means changes to that info in only one place rather than making the same change to 5+ segregated report tables.

I hope this helps!!

Thank you for the warning shot! I have read a lot about the sequential numbering and the potential horror that could come from it. I planned on having the report generation be the only manual aspect so that the sequence wouldnโ€™t be an issue. I am planning to use the UniqueID as a work order type number just in caseโ€ฆ

I will give this a shot! Seems like it should work. Didnโ€™t think about the Parent/Child set up. Thank you very much!

Top Labels in this Space