Auto generated incremental ID for every new report opened

I am building Internal Audit reporting tool using APPSheet, for each audit report opened I need unique Report ID automatically generated starting 'IAR001'. I do not want ID generated when report is closed

Solved Solved
0 4 149
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CONCATENATE("IAR00",[_RowNumber]-1)

Assuming first row is row 2 in the spreadsheet 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CONCATENATE("IAR00",[_RowNumber]-1)

Assuming first row is row 2 in the spreadsheet 

Thanks for solution, I need to test when 2 people working at same tome how this works

Does it work for you when two people are there at the same time?

So... sort of.  In general if the two people are creating a record then saving it with 1min or so I dont think there will be any issues.  

But I have a client that uses one of my apps with 2 people.  They seem to insist on creating a record then keeping it open for hours before saving it.  With this you get the following sequence:

1. User A & B sync the app.  The next available row is 1000
  2. User A creates a record where [JobNumber]=[_RowNumber], so its set as 1000
  3. User B creates a record where [JobNumber]=[_RowNumber] so its set as 1000
  4. User B saves so [JobNumber] is written to the spreadsheet as "1000" on Row 1000
  5. User A then saves making [JobNumber] = 1000 where [_RowNumber]=1001

There isn't anything clever you can do about this such as running an action on save or even triggering a bot on save.  This is because the formula or trigger is analysed by the users PC as they save.  So in the above instance, User B's brower will not know that row 1000 is now not blank, even as its saving.

The only way I fudged this was to create a scheduled bot which runs every 15mins and looks for these errors and then corrects them.

Top Labels in this Space