Automatically Clear Entry When Not Valid

Does anyone know how to create an action that will automatically clear the entry on a form when it fails to pass the Valid_If condition?

I am working on a barcode scanner application and I would like to the user know that invalid data was entered (or scanned), but then have it clear the entry so that the next barcode is accepted quickly without needing to mouse click on the text entry box.

Another way to ask this question is whether there is a programmatic method or formula that can be used to detect when the Valid_If condition is True or False for an entry on a Form.

1 5 88
5 REPLIES 5

@PaulKelly wrote:

Another way to ask this question is whether there is a programmatic method or formula that can be used to detect when the Valid_If condition is True or False for an entry on a Form.

In general Valid_if condition's failure to the user is indicated by the valid_if error message. You can customize the valid_if error message using expressions. 

Once the user knows of invalid data entry through the error message, some intervention from the user will be required to clear the invalid data entry such as clearing the field and making the new entry.  Please update , if you are you looking for something else.

Thanks Suvrutt.  I have customized the error message to show the user that their entry was not valid, but I am still looking for a way to clear the data entry text box (or automatically Shift + Tab back to it) so that when they press the trigger on their barcode scanner it will allow them overwrite the old entry immediately.  So I am looking for a way to trigger an action based on invalid data that can perform an action quickly to remove or highlight the invalid data (by highlight, I mean that the text input box has focus and the user input from a keyboard or barcode scanner will overwrite the old text without the need to move the mouse and click on the text input box).

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@PaulKelly wrote:

an action that will automatically clear the entry on a form

Actions cannot be used in form views at all

@PaulKelly wrote:

Nope.

I can't think of any simple way to accomplish what you want... ๐Ÿค”

Thanks Steve.  That's what I thought based on combing through the forum answers and experimentation over the last few days.  I was just hoping that someone would have a trick to do it.  The only other way I can think of to do what I want for quick barcode scanning is to remove the Valid_If condition at the data entry phase and basically allow all entries to be saved, then run an AppScript in Google Sheets that cleans up the rows that are invalid later. 

@Steve wrote:
@PaulKelly wrote:

Nope.

I can't think of any simple way to accomplish what you want... :thinking_face:

@Steve add this to your repertoire:

https://www.appsheetinsider.com/group/those-epic-few-formulas/discussion/8c0c7796-a666-439d-9252-c74...

It would be nice to know of any other helpful formula's you've accumulated over the years too.

Top Labels in this Space