Basic Filtering 101

Im increasingly frustrated by the filtering quirks of AppSheet.

This time I am wanting to filter for a slice of data on a field "Wave" for text that currently shows "Featured Swim (11am)"

and NOTHING I try has worked so far. Not...

IN("Featured",[Wave])

CONTAINS("Featured", [Wave])

AND(CONTAINS([Wave], "feat"),CONTAINS([Wave], "ured"))

the last one inspired by the "solution to my last question about filtering for "10:10", to which the answer was: AND(CONTAINS([Wave],"10:"),CONTAINS([Wave],":10"))

I still dont know why that exact solution works! An explanation of the issue would be appreciated so I have an idea of what might be worth trying?

Solved Solved
0 5 127
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, yes the data exists. I'm embarrassed to say that the problem seems to be that you must SAVE the app after creating the slice before viewing it!?

WOW, there goes a couple of hours!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

The IN() only work with lists, not with strings. Your formula CONTAINS("Featured", [Wave]) is just with a wrong order. You need to use CONTAINS([Wave],"Featured").

SOrry that was a transcript error: the (latest) expression is:

AND(CONTAINS([Wave],"Featured"),CONTAINS([Wave],"11:"))

which doesn't work.

Also tested the simpler example you provided: CONTAINS([Wave],"Featured")
Results, it appears OK in the "Test" within the Expression Assistant but no data in the  "Preview Data" of the slice

chocbudda_0-1692337520256.pngchocbudda_1-1692337547315.png

It sounds like that you don't have records where these two conditions match with the AND(). 

OK, yes the data exists. I'm embarrassed to say that the problem seems to be that you must SAVE the app after creating the slice before viewing it!?

WOW, there goes a couple of hours!

No worries ๐Ÿ™‚

Top Labels in this Space