Best way to auto-update a database field

Hello, 

I would like to know the recommended way to update an AppSheet Database field based on data from the same database.

Ex.:

I have a table with a list of people and birthdates. I also have a Yes/No field to display if that person is over a certain age. What is the best way to auto-update this field?

I tried using the "formula" option on the App menu option "Data", but it does not auto-update the Database after I set the formula - therefore should I create a task with a script that does the auto-update? Is there a more straightforward way to do it?

Solved Solved
0 5 895
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

App Formulas in real columns only evaluate when the record is edited. Go ahead and edit a record and you should see your formula return what you're expecting (assuming it is correct).

View solution in original post

And, if you need the column to recalculate every time the app syncs even if a row hasn't been edited, make it a virtual column.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Questions like this should be posted in the Q&A board, where they're more likely to be seen by someone who can provide an answer and won't confuse anyone reviewing this Tips board for the type of content it's intended for. I suggested to moderators that they move the post.

Are you asking about how to populate a column newly added to a table with existing rows OR about how to configure an existing column to update its value for a row when that row is edited?

Thank you for your response, I was referring to updating the content of columns already added. I've recently started using google AppSheet and this is a very basic question.  
For further questions I will be using the Q&A board! Thanks!

App Formulas in real columns only evaluate when the record is edited. Go ahead and edit a record and you should see your formula return what you're expecting (assuming it is correct).

And, if you need the column to recalculate every time the app syncs even if a row hasn't been edited, make it a virtual column.

Wow, thanks! I was also wondering what was the function of the virtual columns, and looks like it is exactly what I need in this application!

Top Labels in this Space