BigQuery data source and maximum rows

I see that BigQuery is supported as a data source, but am concerned that it says there is a limit of 100k rows. 

Hopefully this means that no more than that number of rows will be displayed in AppSheet, not that it cannot do a lookup of data from a large (~ 1 million row) table, right?

Would like to know what to expect before I go to the effort of creating and uploading my dataset.

Thanks

Solved Solved
0 1 332
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The limit is in the number of data records which can be accessed by AppSheet, not the number which can be stored in BigQuery. However this is an important limitation because if for example you are creating a Slice, then the slice can only pull from a maximum of 100,000 rows.

Take a theoretical example where I have a table in BigQuery with 400,000 records with a category column of 'Region'. Let's assume we have 100,000 rows each in regions North, South, East and West. If I create a Slice which is for all the records for the North region, then I might expect to get 100,000 records returned. However AppSheet is limited to seeing 100,000 rows and assuming a random distribution in the BigQuery table, it might mean that there are only 25,000 of the rows relating to the North region which are visible to AppSheet. It is possible (and best practice) to perform a filter at the data source level using Security Filters, but still there will be 100,00 records that AppSheet can access.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

The limit is in the number of data records which can be accessed by AppSheet, not the number which can be stored in BigQuery. However this is an important limitation because if for example you are creating a Slice, then the slice can only pull from a maximum of 100,000 rows.

Take a theoretical example where I have a table in BigQuery with 400,000 records with a category column of 'Region'. Let's assume we have 100,000 rows each in regions North, South, East and West. If I create a Slice which is for all the records for the North region, then I might expect to get 100,000 records returned. However AppSheet is limited to seeing 100,000 rows and assuming a random distribution in the BigQuery table, it might mean that there are only 25,000 of the rows relating to the North region which are visible to AppSheet. It is possible (and best practice) to perform a filter at the data source level using Security Filters, but still there will be 100,00 records that AppSheet can access.

Top Labels in this Space