Bind Appsheet to google groups with free plan

Hello,

I'm currently using Appsheet with its free plan, and I would love to build a moderation system (logging things, ...). I have already bound google sheets to appsheet which is great, and setup different google groups.

I want people that are in those google groups to have direct access to appsheet. Unfortunately, I tried to follow all tutorials, nothing to do, it does not work...

I believe I need a paid plan (which one, if any?) but I am really confused and I'm starting to have a headache... Thanks for your answer

Solved Solved
0 7 227
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have it working well, but it is due to an Enterprise Licensing for GWS that allows this to happen.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You didn't say which "tutorials" you followed.  Try referring to this article to get started:

Control access using Google Groups

This is exactly the article I followed. I assumed I could not do it because everything they show in the video has a "enterprise" label, not a "free" one. Everything I had to enable to get groups working had an "enterprise" label as well...

I could not make it work, despite the fact the app is deployed.

NB: I only have a personal gmail account (no workspace account) and the free appsheet plan.

I see.  Correct!  I believe you do need an Enterprise level account.  Google Groups are used in AppSheet for businesses for 2 reasons:

• Easier management of users within a common business domain.
  • Ability to manage an AppSheet development team with several employees as contributors.

The Use Cases we experience (with a large user base):

1. Stronger governance on security. Allows for auditing users' access within GWS and GCP across ALL AppSheet instances that are created. Users can now be monitored within GWS Security Investigation Tool and Alert Center.

2. Onboarding and offboarding of employees.  Automated additions and removals ( removals when changing roles and departments)

3. Dynamic group assignments. Dynamic groups can have users added based on properties and conditions of the user.

4. General groups allow management without explicitly having to go into AppSheet to manage. It does not require an active administrator for each AppSheet. It allows my team to manage account access as we do with other SaaS solutions just by adding or deducting from GWS Groups. (This is significant.)

5. Closely integrates with Google Chat functionality to ensure consistency in user access and auditing controls.

I highly recommend using Group functionality if plausible. It provides the optimum level of compliance, especially when we have to be GDPR compliant across a large number of users.

The unique design of AppSheet to use pass-through authentication to Google Sheets makes for some challenging oversight when PII is part of the sheet. However, the compromise is that auditors can gain insight by having Groups managing access. External access is blocked via groups, where explicit external access within AppSheet can bypass these standard controls.

I have it working well, but it is due to an Enterprise Licensing for GWS that allows this to happen.

Yes, I had a conversation with a google employee that confirmed it. Sadly, it's not really mentioned anywhere (except on the app that says "enterprise", but I found it odd you could enable it). I also did not get any warnings from appsheet for that, but I got one for something else, so I thought it was also available for us.

Thanks for the reply !

@Varonex wrote:

but I found it odd you could enable it

AppSheet allows for FREE prototype apps.  So nearly all features are available to an undeployed app. 

Once you deploy, the app then becomes subject to the licensing level (and cost) based on the features implemented in the app. 

Even so, you can always enable additional features at any time which will then result in an updated license cost.

FYI, you can always inspect the app at any time to see what the Plan Requirements are - i.e. what plans are allowed.  This is especially useful after introducing any new features.  See image below

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.53.02 AM.png

Top Labels in this Space