Bot Process Actions not executing the same way as the actions triggered via UI

What is wrong here please?

• A: a GROUP action (left side of image) that executes when triggered against a row via the UI.  Together, the sub-actions force a refresh of the whole row - causing update behaviour in other columns on the row.  This is working as expected.
  • B: a BOT (right side of image) referencing the same two actions as the GROUP action.  On execution the individual actions are performed but the update behaviour in the rest of the row does not happen

I have tried multiple combinations of Event triggers, Process /action combinations, ForEachRowInTable on & off, Triggers (on change, on add, on update) etc,  but the behaviour by the BOT is the same.

How can I trip row refresh in a similar way to scenario A, but using a BOT? 

I want to use a BOT because I can trigger the refresh action when a new row is added to the TICKETS table by a daily scheduled script, executed in my Google Sheet data source.

Alternative approaches / suggestions most welcome.                                                               

gcor71_0-1710318706756.png

1 10 73
10 REPLIES 10

When  you mention 'row refresh' are you referring to calculated columns updating or are you talking about another bot triggering?

Calculated columns updating.

If I execute the Actions from the UI, the whole row is magically re-calculated (and my PREDICT function populates a column as required).
If I try to execute the same Actions on the same row but triggered from a Bot, it doesn't work (the row is not re-calculated).

I'm a bit at a loss I suppose, but probably because I'm missing something in your process. I am guessing you tested the bot by doing a manual run of it? Did you subsequently look at the audit log and/or the automation log to make sure the bot actually executed, and then check for any errors?

Me too!  As you suggest, I've been through it with a fine toothed comb.  It's very strange - the bot executes and I can see the actions being performed on the data...  it's just that the row isn't recalculated.  Perform the exact same actions but triggered in the UI  and it recalcs fine.  There are no errors or obvious clues in the log/monitor.

Possibly one for support then.

Maybe support, but you might end up waiting for an answer for a while. When you run your bot manually does it actually update the values of the columns that you have updated via Action 1 & 2? Also, it looks like your actions just shuffle column values around but in the end don't actually change anything in the underlying data other than just recalculating other columns? I am wondering if handling the actions via bot creates some type of race condition?

Fair points.  
Yes, the actions are shuffling the data just as a mechanism to trigger the recalculation.  Yes, I can see the Actions correctly swapping the data and then back.

While I'd not thought of a race condition, part of my investigation included me creating two separate bots - one to trigger Action 1, one to trigger Action 2, then running them manually.  Same result.

I also tried the GROUPED ACTION bot task and grouping the Actions together in a Group Action (in the Actions level itself), just triggering that single group action... again, same result.

Really perplexing.

I guess let me propose an alternative method to test this further, if you are willing to try? In your data table add a new column [LastUpdated] and set it to a Timestamp type. In your bot create a data action that sets the value of this column to NOW(). Then check if the rows properly recalculated after running an equivalent scheduled bot manually.

Didn't take long.  Same result.  The timestamp column is nicely updated, but there is no recalculation happening.

Just to double check, when you run the grouped action form the client I presume, the update to those columns doesn't run a data change bot that recalculates your other columns? The other columns that you want recalculated have a formula in the column settings, right?

correct - the bot is simply a way to schedule the trigger/update.

All calculations are formula within the column/table definitions.

Top Labels in this Space