Bot trigger not working

There are several questions similar to mine, so apologies if this has already been answered.  But if it has, I can't find the answer.

I have a bot that is supposed to trigger when a new row is added to the underlying sheet.  The bot's action is to execute a script.  Applicants for a grant fill out a form on the charity's website.  The web form is by WPForms which has a plug-in that automatically adds a new row to my sheet when a form is submitted.  That plug-in is working correctly, and my script is working correctly, but the script doesn't run automatically; I have to force it to run.

The app is not yet deployed.  Does the trigger only work for deployed apps?  Or does the trigger only work if something within the app adds a new row?

0 2 106
2 REPLIES 2

@Revett wrote:

Or does the trigger only work if something within the app adds a new row?

Yes, with one exception - Google Forms.  There is a feature that integrates with Google Forms and if a row is added from that source then it can trigger an automation.  Unfortunately, at that time there is no ability to trigger automation when rows are added from any other external source.

There are a couple of other options.  

1)  Can WPForms make a call to a Rest API?  if so, you can set it up to call the AppSheet API to add the row through AppSheet services.  There would be no need to insert into the sheet in this case.

2)  The integrator service called Make (formally Integromat) has integrations with the AppSheet API.  If WPForms can ALSO integrate with Make then you can setup an item in Make to recognize the WPForm activity and then send the data over to AppSheet.  Even if WPForms has no integration with Make, you can still use the activity of adding the row into the Google sheet to trigger a Make item that picks up that Google row and calls the AppSheet API.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try both, then post back here.

Top Labels in this Space