Bots aren't triggering Data Actions

I cannot for the life of me understand what the problem is.  I want a bot to update a value on one table when another table adds a row.  

I've made a "Run action on selected rows" action and when I press the button for the action manually it works fine.  

I've also made another bot that send me a notification every time the other table adds a row and it works fine.

I can't understand why my bot is not triggering the data change action. Please help

0 6 171
6 REPLIES 6

Could you show us the Event for the Bot and the expression you have implemented in the Condition property?

It could also be that the Bot IS triggering but is not actually doing anything - e.g. Behavior expression in the action itself by passes the action.  You should be able to see if the Bot is triggered or not in the Audit Logs.

Hi, thank you for replying.

Let me attach some screenshots of my bot.

Here is the expression for my action.  When I press the button for the action is fires successfully but I can't get the bot to trigger it.Here is the expression for my action. When I press the button for the action is fires successfully but I can't get the bot to trigger it.Here is the process page.  I have two things that trigger.  One is a notification just to let me know that it DID trigger and the next is the action I would like to happen.  I AM getting the notification every time it adds a row but my action is not triggering.Here is the process page. I have two things that trigger. One is a notification just to let me know that it DID trigger and the next is the action I would like to happen. I AM getting the notification every time it adds a row but my action is not triggering.Here's the event page (just like the last page)Here's the event page (just like the last page)Here is my condition which is just "true" because I want it to always fireHere is my condition which is just "true" because I want it to always fireHere's the Bot page.  I want it to trigger when the table "Battle Actions" adds a rowHere's the Bot page. I want it to trigger when the table "Battle Actions" adds a row

A few things:

1)  At the top of the Bot, there is a button named Monitor.  Have you clicked it to look at the Monitor page for your Bot?  If not, check it for any errors reported.

2)  I am noticing the Bot runs against the Table "Battle Actions".  Your action "Subtract Player Creature Damage on Selected Row" transitions to the "Battle" table.  I assume this action has the correct target table of "Battle Actions" or you probably wouldn't have been able to add it.  But check that it does.

3)  Your Referenced Rows expression looks ok but I would suggest checking it is returning the row you think it is.  You can do this by surfacing the result of this expression temporarily in a Virtual Column that you look at in a view.

4) Make sure that the Referenced Action "Subtract Player Creature Damage" is configured correctly, performs the update as you expect and has no Behavior Criteria that is preventing it from executing.

That's all I can offer at the moment.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the ideas. 

So I really don't understand this monitor thing at all but here is what it is looking like.Screenshot 2022-02-21 7.15.46 AM.png

My actions seem to be all correct.  It should return the same result regardless of what row it is triggered on (since the actions select the max rows).  When I try manually activating them on any row they all yield the correct result.  For reference though, here is the expression on the Subtract Player Creature Damage action 

Screenshot 2022-02-21 7.15.12 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-02-21 7.14.59 AM.png

I tried an experiment where I forced the actions to run on row 2 (the first added) and when I activated them manually they worked on row 2 but still wouldn't be triggered by the bot.

And I've double checked now but there are no conditions that aren't being met. 

In your action expression to update values, I am seeing a portion that is like this:

...-NUMBER(SELECT(Battle Damage...

The usage of NUMBER(SELECT ... , I think, is giving you unexpected results.  SELECT returns a LIST of values - not just a single number value.   Replace NUMBER with ANY and I think you will be good.  In fact, if your columns are defined as numeric types, you should not need the NUMBER() function in that expression at all.

For what it's worth, I did test this.  I used both a Virtual Column and a "normal' to capture the results of the calculation.  Virtual Column did not behave well when using the NUMBER() function as in your expression.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 3.16.43 PM.png

I’ll have to play around with that later. If that’s it I’m gonna laugh haha

I really appreciate the help!

Top Labels in this Space