[Bug] Enum/Basetype Ref vs Ref - Inline Action

When using a Ref type column, the system generates an action that's set as Inline to "View ref", which opens the detail view of the ref value.
The action has this inside the target URL:

CONCATENATE("#page=detail&table=ref_table&row=", ENCODEURL([ref_column]) )

When using this Ref type column inside a Group By, you will be able to see that the action is also there, conveniently taking you to the detail view of the parent record that all of the other records have in common.

Now, if we use an Enum basetype Ref and manually create the action with exactly all of the properties of the system-generated one, it's not show/available in the Group By header.

Can you fix this issue please?

@Arthur_Rallu @Adam-google @lizlynch 

5 5 237
5 REPLIES 5

@SkrOYC - Thank you for reporting this issue. Passing on to the AppSheet dev team. 

Dear @SkrOYC , what is group by header ? I have asked for knowing it... 

Check the "Group By" section in list views, like Deck, Table and more

Hi @SkrOYC 
Enabling this for manually created actions is not as obvious to enable. With the system-generated actions, we know that the action definition will match certain constraints (and in particular the fact that the action does not need any row information except the one about that REF value). If we enable this system-generated actions for Enum-base-REF columns as well as REF columns, then we would be changing the behavior of the apps that already exist and we know that we should avoid making changes without app creators knowing about them. 

All this to say there isn't an easy "fix" to this situation. We're logging this issue, but the team won't be working on this in the near future. 

What I think is the solution doesn't involve another "system generated" action but rather the option for us to be able to do it manually and the platform to actually use what we made.

Currently, for some reason that I can't explain, AppSheet doesn't allow Inline action in Group By headers aside from the View Ref one.

Isn't the case that allowing it won't break other apps if you allow custom inline actions inside Group By with an extra toggle so that creators can decide whether they want actions to be shown there or not? Shouldn't that be a solution?

I'm by no means trying to say that this would be easy, but that is possible, and even needed for experienced creators

Top Labels in this Space