Bug: Reset on Edit is not working properly

<h1>Reset on edit is not working!</h1>

Haha, sorry, I'm just having fun with that other bug.

The setup

I have a detail view which provides filtering options on a dashboard where other views of the same dashboard listen to changes via slices. This works great. If you don't know how this works or you are unfamiliar with it, check this simple sample app.

I configured a Reset on Edit? expression that just resets to the initial value when [_THISROW_BEFORE].[AnInterestingColumn]<>[_THISROW_AFTER].[AnInterestingColumn].
This reset is meant to reset date columns using an initial value of "".

The problem

1. Doesn't work on Form Views, the value stays the same
  2. Doesn't work on Detail View having [AnInterestingColumn] with Quick Edit if the view is part of a Dashboard
  3. Works on Detail View having [AnInterestingColumn] with Quick Edit if the view is fullscreen

Does anyone work with Reset on Edit?
How reliable is it when using it with an expression like mine?

2 4 251
4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Reset on edit? is considered only when the form is first opened. Once the form is displayed, Reset on edit? is no longer considered.

This means that it resets everytime a form view is opened but then not when a changed is done to other fields of the same record?

Correct. To get what you want, try enabling Reset on edit? unconditionally, then adjust he column's Initial value expression to include the conditional.

IF(
  OR(
    NOT(IN([_ROWNUMBER], ThisTable[_ROWNUMBER])),
    ([_THISROW_BEFORE].[AnInterestingColumn] <> [_THISROW].[AnInterestingColumn])
  ),
  InitialValue,
  [_THIS]
)

I don't recall off the top of my head if you can use [_THIS] in Initial value. If not, just reference the column by name.

Makes a lot of sense.

Awesome workaround!

Top Labels in this Space