CAPTURING SELECTED DROPDOWN LIST VALUE

Hi,

I am looking for some assistance with an application I am working on in an appsheet.
Basically, I am working on a dispatch/tracking application for a logistics company and the main area of focus right now is tracking the duration of each task e.g. loading a pallet or setting up a pallet.

One task can be done by a different person each day and so part of the process is capturing who is doing the specific task. On the appsheet app you select the task followed by the employee name of who is doing the task which is done from the selection of the employee name from a drop-down list and then a start button which initiates the process and complete button which indicates the completion of the task.

However, I am having an issue with the employee selection from the dropdown list, when the said employee name is selected on its own form (Drop Down List) it is not populating the respective Employee Name cell in the worksheet and so does not show on the details view of the appsheet application, the employee name only appears when there is data entered into it on the details view of the appsheet application. If I go into the worksheet to the specific table/sheet and enter an Employee name into an existing row in the Employee Column and then sync the application the Employee name shows on the details view. 

This is an everyday process which basically means each row is updated daily by duration and employee name and all other columns remain the same.

So, in a nutshell please can I get assistance with capturing the Employee name from the drop-down list into the Employee Name Column or any suggestions in capturing the name using a textbox so that it populates the Column.

NB If I validate the start button to only allow the starting time to be captured only if the employee's name has been captured successfully it never works because it does not recognize when an employee name has been selected on the Employee Name form (Drop Down List) due to it not populating the Employee Name Column.

0 8 490
8 REPLIES 8

You select an item from the dropdown list, but the value doesn't actually save to the column? Or...what? Gonna need some screenshots here, that doesn't make any sense.

Yes, if I select an Item (Employee Name) from the list it doesn't save to the Employee Name column in the Worksheet. Ideally if you select the item (Employee Name) it should appear on the details view and in the linked table/worksheet

Which screenshots should I provide? I'll do so promptly

Screenshots of the described situation. The form with the dropdown. The missing data. Other relevant items...

Find attached screenshots with comments

Scan ID is the action that takes us to the Employee Name FormScan ID is the action that takes us to the Employee Name FormEmployee Name Form with Drop-down listEmployee Name Form with Drop-down listData for the entire taskData for the entire taskData for Employee Name formData for Employee Name formWorksheet sheet where selected employee name is to be savedWorksheet sheet where selected employee name is to be saved

Details view 

Detail View of the task without the selected Employee NameDetail View of the task without the selected Employee Name

So the button takes you to a form on another table, and you're expecting that somehow it would fill out the column on the first table?

I guess that's what the guy who previously was working on the app was doing. So, the answer is yes. Would you suggest getting rid of that table? or otherwise 

So somebody else built this app? You should probably ask them if at all possible. I'd guess that either they were setting it up this way for some reason, or they had no idea what they were doing. From what I can see, I'd lean towards the latter.

In the absence of any help from that other person, why don't you start by ignoring this other table, and just edit the employee column directly on the original table.

Top Labels in this Space