COMPETITION: Glide?

Glide vs AppSheet

This article looks very rough

I donโ€™t have the intention to start some kind of fight over this thing but Iโ€™m curious

Have anyone some knowledge about Glide?
Does Glide stand up to their claims?
Are there things inside Glide that we donโ€™t have?
Whatโ€™s the future of AppSheet vs other platforms?

3X_7_2_72c05a7849ac3a86d6d7b2819c11b7babadf5bbb.gif

Solved Solved
2 11 1,459
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi everyone.

I played with GlideApps and made a clone of my existing apps from AppSheet

I'm not gonna tell the entire experience since I don't want to make this some kind of advertisement for GlideApps, I just want to summarize my experience on this two simple points

Pros over AppSheet:

1. UI/UX is way better. You know this was comming.
    1. Everything is very flexible. You can put buttons, tables, inline almost wherever you want. Think about detail views that can receive a stack of different views inside.
    2. There are different theme options, not just the light/dark mode stuff.
    3. Material and Cupertino design languages are respected depending on platform.
    4. Lot of views.
    5. You can define "Labels" each time you add a "picker" equivalent to buttons, dropdowns on AppSheet.
  2. You can interact with the data inside the app editor
  3. Dedicated desktop interface
  4. You manage views independently. This may be a problem for some, but the fact that AppSheet locks down to certain views for some of it IU and that you need to mess with more detail views/forms, slices, actions, just to make sure a button goes where you want is jus too much. The platform does a good job at reusing views when it's needed but you can then edit the way you want it.
  5. B2C is a posibility
  6. There are some options for notifications, sounds, etc.. more UX to be fair
  7. Sync is almost real-time
  8. More?

Contras compared to AppSheet

1. Columns are not expression-driven, instead they rely on defined calculations on "computed columns" which are basically VC. You will likely need to make more than one to get the result you want, because expression allow you to nest calculations, something we do on AppSheet.
  2. All API integrations are made by third-parties. Zapier and Integromat (aka Make). This means that the "call a webhook" action just calls a Zapier/Integromat one. AppSheet has an internal webhook integration, no need for integromat, although I made one with a computed column using Template type and URL API as workaround, but that's another thing.
  3. Related to the 2nd point, you can't make reports the way you do on AppSheet. The backend for templates and reports on AppSheet is great.
  4. Prototype/Personal use app is not fully featured. AppSheet has one of the best Prototype plans out there, period.
  5. No security filters, just "Row owners", which are the equivalent to have a security filter to just leave rows where [UserMail]=USEREMAIL()
  6. No offline support.
  7. More?

I'm not an expert on either of them, but I though it could be good to share my experience.

I think that we should just choose the right tool for the job, sometimes this means that we can't just take a platform and think that one-size-fits-all.

Also, I deeply though about what moved me to try another platform, and found that my disconfort on the AppSheet platform as it's managed today (or should I say Google AppSheet?) is pushing me to seek for something different. In general, I'm not an AppSheet lover as I was at some point last year.

I'll keep doing my best to help others if I have time for it and also I'll keep using AppSheet as I said before, it's great to have a good foundation and today I feel like I can almost do whatever I need on AppSheet thanks to that foundation.

In the end, I encourage to check GlideApps and share your experience since I think that the more we see what can be done, the better feedback/ideas we can provide to the AppSheet team. Maybe you don't know what you need until you see it

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Just look at the Glide prices and laugh

Well:

Price point Apps Users per App AppSheet Glide
Core - Private App 1 1 USD10 USD40
Core - Private App 1 5 USD50 USD40
Core - Private App 1 10 USD100 USD40
Core - Private App 1 20 USD200 USD40
Core - Private App 1 40 USD400 USD80
Core - Private App 2 1 USD10 USD80
Core - Private App 2 5 USD50 USD80
Core - Private App 2 10 USD100 USD80
Core - Private App 2 20 USD200 USD80
Core - Private App 2 40 USD400 USD120
Core - Private App 5 1 USD10 USD200
Core - Private App 5 5 USD50 USD200
Core - Private App 5 10 USD100 USD200
Core - Private App 5 20 USD200 USD200
Core - Private App 5 40 USD400 USD240
Core - Private App 10 1 USD10 USD400
Core - Private App 10 5 USD50 USD400
Core - Private App 10 10 USD100 USD400
Core - Private App 10 20 USD200 USD400
Core - Private App 10 40 USD400 USD440
Core - Private App 20 1 USD10 USD800
Core - Private App 20 5 USD50 USD800
Core - Private App 20 10 USD100 USD800
Core - Private App 20 20 USD200 USD800
Core - Private App 20 40 USD400 USD840

With AppSheet, number of apps is not a problem.
With Glide, number of users is not a problem.

Just different ways of managing pricing

Iโ€™m more interested into features, rather than prices, since the later will vary for sure

Wow. Sounds like someone was a dissatisfied Appsheet customer.

Looks like a young platform, you know. Those usually start to do this kind of things. They started around 2018-2019.
At least we could appreciate the fact that they are doing certain things right on their platform but, at first sight, seems like AppSheet is somewhat more powerful.
Anyway, I feel really comfortable on AppSheet at this point and some of their arguments doesnโ€™t make sense to me like โ€œitโ€™s hardโ€, โ€œitโ€™s uglyโ€ (kinda true to be fair), โ€œI canโ€™t do what I needโ€, etc.
There is going to be the right tool for the right job and AppSheet is good at B2B and kinda bad for B2C. Glide is the other way around.
Now, the use case of having your clients engage with the company through a platform thar they can login with the mail they deside and then access their info via custom URL is tempting (Glide Pages). They have something called โ€œPublic with Sign inโ€ where an App/Page can have public and logged users.
I hope AppSheet can deal with these in the future

This is a big difference between both platforms that I also feel.
If we want to provide B2C services, Glide might be an option, but I would worry about whether the data source is safe with Google Sheet.

Also, the map engine must be different: AppSheet is naturally Google Map, while Glide is Mapbox. This may be a point that needs to be taken into consideration depending on the country we are using it in.

Pro: Their community uses Discourse

Just saying...

Hi everyone.

I played with GlideApps and made a clone of my existing apps from AppSheet

I'm not gonna tell the entire experience since I don't want to make this some kind of advertisement for GlideApps, I just want to summarize my experience on this two simple points

Pros over AppSheet:

1. UI/UX is way better. You know this was comming.
    1. Everything is very flexible. You can put buttons, tables, inline almost wherever you want. Think about detail views that can receive a stack of different views inside.
    2. There are different theme options, not just the light/dark mode stuff.
    3. Material and Cupertino design languages are respected depending on platform.
    4. Lot of views.
    5. You can define "Labels" each time you add a "picker" equivalent to buttons, dropdowns on AppSheet.
  2. You can interact with the data inside the app editor
  3. Dedicated desktop interface
  4. You manage views independently. This may be a problem for some, but the fact that AppSheet locks down to certain views for some of it IU and that you need to mess with more detail views/forms, slices, actions, just to make sure a button goes where you want is jus too much. The platform does a good job at reusing views when it's needed but you can then edit the way you want it.
  5. B2C is a posibility
  6. There are some options for notifications, sounds, etc.. more UX to be fair
  7. Sync is almost real-time
  8. More?

Contras compared to AppSheet

1. Columns are not expression-driven, instead they rely on defined calculations on "computed columns" which are basically VC. You will likely need to make more than one to get the result you want, because expression allow you to nest calculations, something we do on AppSheet.
  2. All API integrations are made by third-parties. Zapier and Integromat (aka Make). This means that the "call a webhook" action just calls a Zapier/Integromat one. AppSheet has an internal webhook integration, no need for integromat, although I made one with a computed column using Template type and URL API as workaround, but that's another thing.
  3. Related to the 2nd point, you can't make reports the way you do on AppSheet. The backend for templates and reports on AppSheet is great.
  4. Prototype/Personal use app is not fully featured. AppSheet has one of the best Prototype plans out there, period.
  5. No security filters, just "Row owners", which are the equivalent to have a security filter to just leave rows where [UserMail]=USEREMAIL()
  6. No offline support.
  7. More?

I'm not an expert on either of them, but I though it could be good to share my experience.

I think that we should just choose the right tool for the job, sometimes this means that we can't just take a platform and think that one-size-fits-all.

Also, I deeply though about what moved me to try another platform, and found that my disconfort on the AppSheet platform as it's managed today (or should I say Google AppSheet?) is pushing me to seek for something different. In general, I'm not an AppSheet lover as I was at some point last year.

I'll keep doing my best to help others if I have time for it and also I'll keep using AppSheet as I said before, it's great to have a good foundation and today I feel like I can almost do whatever I need on AppSheet thanks to that foundation.

In the end, I encourage to check GlideApps and share your experience since I think that the more we see what can be done, the better feedback/ideas we can provide to the AppSheet team. Maybe you don't know what you need until you see it

Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 2.06.52 AM.png

Wish appsheet and glide work together to make this possible. ๐Ÿฅฒ

Well, they even have a github page, maybe AppSheet could take some of the resourses and give them credits... just kidding, they could steal it

https://github.com/orgs/glideapps/repositories

That will be a Game changer. But after google acquired AppSheet have been down grading existing features in the name of upgrading. I hope they realise this.

I did today exactly what you did in your respected above topic, for the same reasons. I spent a considrable amount of time learning and implementing a new set of apps considered as my next stage project. Really sad to see myself in such a position.

Top Labels in this Space