Camera Photos do not work on iOS 16 PB 1, 2 & 3

Hi,

I've not yet deployed any apps but I started 'messing' with the different options whilst using iOS15.  The image type worked well in iOS15 (opening the camera, taking a photograph and saving it) but since upgrading to beta iOS16 the camera will take a photo but the photo will not appear in the app.  It tries to load something as I then get the clear option, to remove the photo.

Uploading photos from the camera roll still works as normal.

This is happening on iOS and IpadOS 16 public beta 1, 2 and 3.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks,

Solved Solved
0 31 1,102
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

...problem solved, Version 15.2 is available in Apple AppStore -> bug is fixed.

Thank you google Team!

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

This is still happening on iOS 16 beta 8. 
Either there is something wrong with my phone and iPad or there are going to be a lot of unhappy apple users in 2 weeks time when the final version is released. 

is anyone else on the beta and having camera issues?

ios beta 8 got issue with camera

It's the same on the iOS 16 RC with AppSheet version 15.1

cc

@mandard 

@Steve 

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please contact AppSheet Support for help with this.

Noticed this issue today with two employees updated to iOS 16.

Support is looking into this - at least it is not just me!

since updating to ios 16 no photos save in the forms of my apps either, breaks my inventory system since photos are required for external workflows. i will be following this thread for any updates

I already reported this here https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Image-Column-problem-with-iOS-16/td-p/466654 also. I was in contact with @Pratip_Ghosh at AppSheet support who informed me that this was forwarded to the engineering team. Somewhat surprised that they didn't do anything then since this post is more than 1 month old.

Two employees reported they can upload from the camera reel, just not take a photo to upload. It's a work around at the moment.

thank you! great info, i'll temporarily allow photos from the camera roll to be added and see if that is a viable work around for our apps too. 

THis is a very temp solution because we are filling our users phones up and they have to spend time delting lots of phots. I've entered a ticket as well.

just tested as a work around and can report that adding from the camera reel does work. 

hopefully the camera issue gets resolved soon.

thanks @joedaddy1138 !

I can confirm that this is still an issue. My users aren't happy...

As @WillowMobileSys indicated under the other post, everyone experiencing issues related to this topic should file a ticket with support, so that this can be escalated. This post was originally created when the problem was identified while iOS 16 was in public beta, since iOS 16 went live for many iDevice users it would appear that this issue is also part of the released version of iOS16.

I am having the same problem with users that have upgraded to 16, several iPhone models.

Prior to 16 they would have their settings as follows: Photos=Selected Photos and Save Photos to Camera Roll OFF. This works well because our users take a lot of pictures and we would fill up their camera fast otherwise. With ios 16, we have to set it to Photos=All Photos and Save Photos to Camera Roll to ON. This is only a temp fix for us because we are not filling up our users phones with pictures and they are very unhappy about that. After each job they now have to spend time deleting pictures they took assumign they did not already fill up their phone.

This is pretty critical to our business and hopefully will be fixed fast.

I am presenting my app to my company tomorrow and one of the selling points is that I can make someone take a fresh photo during an inspection so we know they are actually doing it.  Looks like I need to find myself an android device quickly.

I've taken my phone off the beta program but my iPad has just updated to 16.1 and the issue still exists.  I know that the support team is looking into this as they email me every couple of days.

What I am a bit concerned about though is that I raised this at iOS 16 beta 3, and though I might not have been the most vocal about the issue, it looks like the AppSheet engineering team were not testing their software on an upcoming operating system which (as a guess) 50% of their customers use.

This has actually gotten worse for me now! I click the camera icon to bring up the camera functionality, select 'Take a Photo', snap a picture, select 'Use Photo'. Then the app just restarts, but skips over the syncing step and then goes back to the form I tried taking a picture in.

Hi Markus, My App is deployed so can't check out what you are describing, but the general problem is signifcantly impacting our business. I put in a support ticket last night and heard back from sathish.bommisetti with AppSheet support. He said he is looking into the issue and will get back to me. I will post whatever useful information I hear from him on this thread. As of now, our users can take pictures, but their phones fill up quickly and they have to then delete pictures during service hours etc. Very painful and lots of wasted time troubleshooting as people upgrade to 16 and find the problem. We have about 150 employees working at night taking many pictures during their service work, so this is causing a lot of havoc for us. AppSheet support has been very good the few times I have needed them, so hopefully they come through quickly on this one as well. Seems weird that a feature like this could have been missed during testing. But I also do not understand the relationship Apple has with Google in these matters ๐Ÿ˜‰ Might be very complicated. Jeff

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

A fix is in the works and expected very soon, but there will be a further delay as it works its way through the App Store approval process. This is not an "official" statement and should not be taken as a commitment of any sort. But they're aware of the problem, they are working on it, and progress is being made.

Hi Steve, That's great news! While I understand this is an unoffical statement, are you with Google and if not did you get some information from Google regarding this issue you could share with us? Thnks, Jeff

I work with Google, but am not a direct employee of Google. In my role, I have some access to developers that afforded me the opportunity to get me what I've shared. I didn't ask about specifics; I noted that several members of the community were very concerned about this issue, and asked for some info.

Ok thanks Steve, Very good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Hello everyone, we have the same problem after updating to iOS16:
=> AppSheet can no longer take photos
=> only an icon is displayed instead of the photo
=> no photo is captured anywhere or saved in the cloud

AppSheet.PNG

Our complete team can't work for 2 weeks now.

Please google team, work on a quick solution. This problem is really urgent!

Thanks in advance, Juergen

Hi Juergan,

This bug is also having a significant impact on our business as well. Did you see the temp work-around that was described earlier in this thread? It may help you keep going, although it is painful and wasting a lot of time, it does keep us limping along while they work on a more permaent fix.

We were able to change the AppSheet settings to "All Photos" instead of "Selected Photos" and turn on "Save Photos to Camera Roll". This is not very good because we have to instruct users to delete photos otherwise their camera flls up. And as we get new users with iOS 16 or existing users upgrade, it stops working and we hae to spend helping them make those changes to AppSheet settings. All our work takes palce in the late night hours so it's been keeping a lot of us up at night.

Anyhow, wanted to be sure you saw this. Not ideal, but does help us keep our business running for now.

Jeff

Adding my 2 cents here.

Let's be comprehensive with the team behind the iOS version of the app.
Eventhough we can agree that they may be reacting a little too late, Apple is the one that seem to have added a breaking change. Features should add up, not break current behaviors.

Hope it gets fixed soon

Yes agree and I thought about also going to Apple for help, but when Steve (who works with Google) mentioned in this thread that they had an unofficial fix they were working on, I figued it was not necessary to go to Apple at this point. As well, I have not been able to find anything out there on other non-Google Apps having the same issue so I figured this coupled with the fact that Steve said there was a fix on the way, made it pointless to go to Apple at this point in time. But you are right, if a fix does not come soon, perhaps we need to reach out to Apple as well.

...problem solved, Version 15.2 is available in Apple AppStore -> bug is fixed.

Thank you google Team!

I assume that this is AppSheet software version 15.2?

Iโ€™ve also confirmed the problem is fixed for my users w 15.2. Thanks Google!!!

Top Labels in this Space