Can Dependant Drop Downs operate in reverse

chieb

So for example in this https://youtu.be/HreJAInAjnU?t=335 it narrows down the schools by city which is great but if you don’t know the city but know which school, I want to be able to select the school and have the city automatically back fill.

In my case its a selecting from the property list (yes large list) and back filling the customer name.

is there a way to do this? i looks like the school drop down only becomes active when a city is selected.

Thanks.

0 3 406
3 REPLIES 3

@chieb
That’s totally related how you had set-up your gSheet back-end and your dependent dropdown expressions. In the video, @MultiTech_Visions is narrowing down schools as per city. But of course you can do it otherwise. Or you can use a LOOKUP(…) expression in your City fields initial value (or AppFormula😞

LOOKUP([_THISROW].[School Name],"Schools","School Name","City")

So if user chooses city only schools in the city show up, but if user doesn’t know the city and opens schools dropdown all the schools in the system will be in the drop down therefore user can choose the school and it would auto fill the city. I am just wondering if there is the capability of having both sets of logic in there. I know it can be done as tutorial says or in reverse as I have suggested but not sure about both ways at same time.

@chieb
When set as dependent, the Form UX will always show the 1st dropdown (in your case it will be the [City] column) so that the consecutive dropdowns contents can be filtered as per their predecessors. You can achieve what you want with specifying expressions in your Valid_if:
[CITY COLUMN]

IFS(
	AND(ISBLANK([_THIS]),ISNOTBLANK([Schools])),LOOKUP([_THISROW].[School Name],"Schools","School Name","City"),
	TRUE,SELECT(Schools[City],TRUE)
)

SCHOOLS COLUMN

IFS(
	ISNOTBLANK([City]),SELECT(Schools[School Name],[City]=[_THISROW].[City]),
	TRUE,SELECT(Schools[School Name],TRUE)
)
Top Labels in this Space