Can I get a bot trigger time to respect DST?

I have a bot I want to run at 8:00am locally. But the the only timezone choices for a daily schedule are standard time. From my other searches, it appears that the bots only really know UTC, and the "timezone" settings are just a fixed offset and don't account for daylight saving.

Is there any way to get the bot trigger time to respect DST, or do I have to go in and manually change the "timezone" offset twice a year?

Solved Solved
0 15 296
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Follow up, Nov. 5: I set the bot time zone to "(GMT-07:00) Mountain Standard Time" back in October when we were in DST. Today, the bot adjusted to the return to Standard Time. Hooray! On Sat. Nov 4 it ran at GMT-6, this morning (Sunday) after the time change it ran at GMT-7.

So apparently selecting your standard time zone is the correct way to go about it... even if you're currently on DST and it's very confusing. I wish this were either documented somewhere, or AppSheet would just give the time zones a better name (like, you know, the standardized TZ identifiers that already exist).

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

You will need to find the precise timezone description for the place you live.
I had a similar issue, until I found the right timezone for me.

In other words, if you consider the right time zone, it will change considering daylight saving

The bot trigger scheduling does not have any daylight saving or "auto" time zone options, though. It only has choices for Standard time (or a few fixed UTC offsets). It's not even something I can check in a condition, because Appsheet needs to know the "correct" time before the bot even triggers.

What you need? To have a different time zone per user?

No, I only have one user in one time zone. But 1) It's a bot, the process doesn't have an associated user to pull a time zone from, and 2) bots only have settings for Standard time or fixed UTC offsets. I can set to Standard time for the locale where this bot will run, but not Daylight time, and don't see anything that will automatically adjust.

In other words, I need the bot to run at 8:00 AM local time, taking daylight saving into account. Is this possible?

That's what I said, if you use the right time zone, it will change based on daylight saving time

Whoops, I accidentally hit Solved instead of Reply but it is NOT solved. I know what time zone I'm in. There are no daylight saving options in the bot at all:

appsheet bot timezone.png

Notice there are no options for DST! If I choose "US Mountain Standard Time" (we are in the US, mountain time zone) it is off by an hour, as currently we are on US Mountain Daylight time and GMT-6, not -7. I am not even sure what the other "Mountain Standard Time" that is there even is, although it says GMT-7, because no Standard mountain time I'm aware of is GMT-6. Those choices aren't even official time zone designations, which would be something like "America/Denver". As far as I can tell they are simply fixed offsets to GMT.

@JBenjamin wrote:

As far as I can tell they are simply fixed offsets to GMT

That's what I'm trying to say, they are not in my experience.
Try with Mountain Standard Time

Yes, exactly. But that means I have to change the Time Zone setting twice a year for it to be correct locally, like an old school analog clock. It would be nice if Appsheet did this for me, but it doesn't as far as I can tell and nobody has replied differently. Oh well.

@JBenjamin wrote:

but it doesn't as far as I can tell and nobody has replied differently

Aside from me?

Well, there aren't any other posts!

I guess I should have phrased my question a little differently: "Can a bot trigger time adjust for daylight saving automatically?" And I guess the answer is no.

@JBenjamin wrote:

"Can a bot trigger time adjust for daylight saving automatically?"

I've been trying to say Yes to that all this time

Okay, so please help me with the settings. My current official time zone is "America/Denver". I want my bot to run at 800am local time, GMT-6, right now, and start running at GMT-7 on Nov. 5 when we switch to standard time, automatically. Which time zone should the bot use?

I can't test this until Nov. 5, unfortunately.

@SkrOYC wrote:

Try with Mountain Standard Time

And wait until nov. 5

Follow up, Nov. 5: I set the bot time zone to "(GMT-07:00) Mountain Standard Time" back in October when we were in DST. Today, the bot adjusted to the return to Standard Time. Hooray! On Sat. Nov 4 it ran at GMT-6, this morning (Sunday) after the time change it ran at GMT-7.

So apparently selecting your standard time zone is the correct way to go about it... even if you're currently on DST and it's very confusing. I wish this were either documented somewhere, or AppSheet would just give the time zones a better name (like, you know, the standardized TZ identifiers that already exist).

@JBenjamin wrote:

So apparently selecting your standard time zone is the correct way to go about it

Yep!

Top Labels in this Space