Can someone help me out with this Table Layout

Hi,

I'm working on students results.  I want to create a form View to input students' scores like this one below

NAME OF STUDENTSTUDENT'S IDMATHSSCIENCEENGLISHFRENCH
PETER J.FAG 11160.570.371.763.3
AMOS JOYFAG11261.96182.563
TED OKOLOFAG 11368.487.380.372.2
MOSES MUSAFAG 11447.660.56460
AUDU SARAHFAG 11542.644.860.844.2

Is it possible to have a form view in Appsheet like this one below?

arkneuche_0-1689088641708.png

Do I need to make the students name the heading in my Google sheet? OR the Subjects?

I need help pls

0 5 148
5 REPLIES 5

First, please read this guide carefully.

Data: The Essentials - AppSheet Help 

Thanks Joseph, but I need more assistance

Habe mal vor längerer Zeit eine sog. "Lehrer-APP" mit Integration einer "Notenverwaltung" anhand folgender 2 öffentlichen Vorlagen entworfen: Lehrer-Stundenplan und Anwesenheitsverfolgungs-App  . 

Falls Sie dazu Fragen haben, können Sie mich unter meinen Profil, per "Direktnachricht", rechts oben, kontaktieren.

@arkneuche

"Note: I am not yet as proficient as others here on AppSheet, but I have found that managing data in the following way works well as an option.

To work with the data more efficiently, it would be beneficial to normalize the table so that each row is unique to the subject. This approach allows for an infinite number of subjects without needing to regenerate columns. Instead of having a column for subject selection when entering a score, the user can simply select the subject. This approach provides greater flexibility for future use. This is likely what @Joseph_Seddik  was referring to.

If the data is in the format mentioned above, you can pivot your data to have subject-specific columns. If you are using Excel/Sheets as your data source, create a separate tab to pivot the data and then use that data set within AppSheet, subsequently creating a view.

If the data is in an SQL database, create a view or query that performs the pivot operation on the data. Then connect to it and create your AppSheet view.

The caveat is that you will need to create a fixed number of columns in advance, anticipating the maximum number of subjects, to avoid the need for regeneration each time a new subject is added.

Normalizing the data is important as it provides greater flexibility when aggregating data for reporting. It is easier to denormalize (revert back to a large number of columns) than to do the reverse."

@arkneuche wrote:

Thanks Joseph, but I need more assistance

As @WillVerkaik mentioned, it is important that you understand how to model your data efficiently, and for this AppSheet provides you an excellent resource to learn, so I encourage you to read the guide I gave you and understand it so that you don't run into dead ends with your app. 

Basically you'll need three tables not one. One for students, one for subjects, and one for grades that might include a dimension like years.

However, if you just have a limited, fixed number of subjects, and you just need as simple a purpose of your app as you describe, then it should be OK to continue like what you describe: Subjects in columns, and Students in rows. 

Top Labels in this Space