Can't edit/select desired row if Google Spreadsheet is used as data source

Hello AppSheet community!

I'm working on an app to store case information of our legal firm. So, when I try to select or edit a row of a case all other rows containing same court name gets selected at the same time, thus making all other rows except the very first row unselectable or uneditable. This happens when Google Sheet is used as data source. To visualize this I created a view grouped by Name of the court column (in Bengali 'เฆ†เฆฆเฆพเฆฒเฆคเง‡เฆฐ เฆจเฆพเฆฎ').

Google Sheet as Data sourceGoogle Sheet as Data source

For testing purpose, I copied the same app, but this time for data I created a database inside Appsheet by importing data from google sheet. Now I'm able to select or edit any entry I like.

Appsheet DB as data sourceAppsheet DB as data source

As our firm stores case information on a google sheet, it is convenient to use the same spreadsheet as our app's data source. So, how can I workaround this problem?

Solved Solved
0 2 90
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello there,

Are you using the column that stores the name of the court as the KEY column in that table?

I haven't used AppSheet database yet to know why making the switch to it would fix your issue, but my main suspect right now is your KEY colum in that table.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello there,

Are you using the column that stores the name of the court as the KEY column in that table?

I haven't used AppSheet database yet to know why making the switch to it would fix your issue, but my main suspect right now is your KEY colum in that table.

Thank you for guiding me to the right direction. I was actually using the name of the court as the KEY. Then I realized that in my data some sort of unique ID (to identify each row as separate and unique sets of data) was missing. To mitigate the issue, I created a new column in my spreadsheet named ID and manually generated IDs with the help of this article - Manually generate UNIQUEID() key values - AppSheet Help (google.com)
Also put UNIQUEID() expression in the Initial Value field of ID column to generate new id for future rows and set this ID column as KEY.

Top Labels in this Space