Can't use Call a process to add row to table with column using spreadsheet formula

I created an automation that includes a Call a process step that should add a row. When it runs, that step results in an error that cites a specific column as requiring a value. That column is configured to have its formula populated via spreadsheet formula.

I tested the same automation but for a different table that does not include any column using a spreadsheet formula. That worked fine.

I reported the issue to AppSheet Support.

Meanwhile, I wonder whether others have observed this and identified likely mistakes I may be overlooking or, if it's indeed a bug, any mitigation strategy? The reason I'm using Call a process is so that the called process can Return a value of the new row's key, which I need to use in subsequent automation steps.

Solved Solved
1 5 233
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You could try below

1. If the specific column is marked as "required" you could remove it. Since it does have a spreadsheet formula, mostly marking it as not required should not be a problem.

2. If the column is required, please try CONTEXT("Host")<> "Server" in the Required setting.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You could try below

1. If the specific column is marked as "required" you could remove it. Since it does have a spreadsheet formula, mostly marking it as not required should not be a problem.

2. If the column is required, please try CONTEXT("Host")<> "Server" in the Required setting.

Good thinking! I tried #1, and it worked straightaway. Thanks a lot, @Suvrutt_Gurjar.

Now troubleshooting more issues further downstream in the automation process...

You are welcome @dbaum 

Hello I am trying to do something similar where I add a new row in another table using automation, but keep getting this error. " failed because Row having key '' in table 'nameofthetable' in field '_RowNumber' is required to have a value. 
But _rowNumber is automatically generated by appsheet and is not visible in the automation for me to assign a particular value to it.
Anyone know how to fix this?

@Kmark3 wrote:

_rowNumber is automatically generated by appsheet

Presumably, that value is assigned by the data source, not by AppSheet.

Regardless, potentially this issue is the same as the one I originally noted here--using call a process to add a row doesn't work for a table with any required columns whose values are generated within the data source. Try @Suvrutt_Gurjar's thoughtful workarounds already noted here or else using a different column as the table's key.

In case it's helpful: Further guidance regarding how to  Use 'Call a process' and 'Return values' steps in ... - Google Cloud Community

Top Labels in this Space