Cannot create shortcut on Tablet

Hello,

Normally I run my install link of my app, this automatically creates a shortcut on the home screen of the device. Recently something has changed and on a lot of devices seemingly all lately I have received this error:
Attempt to invoke virtual method ‘int android.graphics.Bitmap.getWidth()’ on a null object reference

I have looked in the community only to find one post with the answer being convert the image from its format to a .png.
This worked fine in one of my apps but I am currently trying to deal with it working with a big customer. I am not marked as the owner of the app in this case only an editor. Only the author can change the app icon. The author would give me authorisation to do this but is on holidays.
I understand this bug has a simple fix but really it needs to be dealt with.

Is anyone else running into this? Theres only one post which makes me think its not common.

Thank you

Solved Solved
0 9 164
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The icons need to be a .PNG even though sometimes a .JPG works

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hello @SKETCHwade, please contact support@appsheet.com for help with fixing this, if the editor allowed the use of that image it should not get an error when trying to install a shortcut.

I did contact support and they told me to use a .PNG which I did in the apps I have the authority to change it.

My image is and has been for a long time now a .jpg

The icons need to be a .PNG even though sometimes a .JPG works

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Escalated.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I’m told that the problem is in fact because your image’s format is unsupported. That’s all I’ve got for you.

The icon is a .jpg and has been for well over a year now in several apps. It’s only now when I add more devices to the system that I get the error. All devices that have had the shortcut already are ok.

@SKETCHwade what is the icon’s format? If it’s not a format we support for making shortcuts, there’s not much we can do about it.
You should be able to change the icon if you are a co-author.

A jpg should work. Could you please give me the app’s name?

I pm’d you thanks Gil

Top Labels in this Space