Capture/Log Original Timestamp on Row Creation

I have been trying to record the initial datetime upon row creation. I have  tried a number of formulas to do this including IFS(ISBLANK([Date Created],NOW())), but none have been successful. When I make an edit to the row, it still updates the [Date Created] row with the new NOW() or it clears the field. I'm not sure if this is a bug or what. Has anyone successfully captured a datetime this way?

Solved Solved
0 8 278
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I had tried reset_on_edit but the output still wasn't correct. 

I actually figured out the solution: I had to set the date column using initial value to NOW(), then I made the column invisible using a slice and created a separate virtual column referencing the first one [Date Opened]. I then placed the virtual column into the slice where the original column would have been, but it's uneditable now. Kind of a silly way to make this work, but problem solved.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Do you have NOW() set in the Initial Value field? If you have it in the App Formula, then it gets updated everytime you edit the row.

I did use NOW(). There doesn't appear to be any other formula to capture the date only once. 

As I asked, where is it set?

Are you sure you're using Initial Value?

I did use initial value as well, however, it remains editable. The goal is to make it an uneditable timestamp.

@TeeSee: the formula was the one I listed above

IFS(ISBLANK([Date Created],NOW()))

The formula doesn't perform as I expected. And the date still resets every time the particular row is edited.

Set editable_if to FALSE.

Is the reset_on_edit option turned on?

I had tried reset_on_edit but the output still wasn't correct. 

I actually figured out the solution: I had to set the date column using initial value to NOW(), then I made the column invisible using a slice and created a separate virtual column referencing the first one [Date Opened]. I then placed the virtual column into the slice where the original column would have been, but it's uneditable now. Kind of a silly way to make this work, but problem solved.

Yes, that is an incredibly silly solution. All you need it NOW() in Initial Value, and FALSE in editable_if.

Top Labels in this Space