Capture in a column file name

Is there a way to capture and store in a column the file name of PDF or Image, automatically generated by Appsheet when you upload or save through form or workflow?

I know that Appsheet adds the date and time as uniID to the file added or uploaded through a form or workflow, but I need it to allow users to retrieve and open it with an actions from the views.

In short, what you want to do is:

1. Save a PDF file (workflow) using informations from differents row and storage it in a defined folder structure (accomplished).
  2. Capture the saved file name and post it as a value in a column of defined row (unnable to acomplish).
  3. Concatenate in a new column (urlFile) the captured file name (fileName) with the defined Google Drive folder structure (โ€ฆappsheet/data/folderA/) (able to acomplish)
  4. Create an action button to allow users, from defined view, open the file using de (urlFILE) (able to acomplish).

Thanks in advance.

0 1 1,459
1 REPLY 1

Hi @Danny_Reyes,

For the step 2 you have mentioned, Please explore if following approach helps.

I believe it is feasible with following approach . I tested it on "Save File " Work flow type. The solution is based on the approach that instead of taking the AppSheetโ€™s system defined name for the file , the file name can be created beforehand through a column.

1. There can be file name column in the same formโ€™s table. This column can have expression based on existing other columns and date of the form update or add.
    CONCATENATE(โ€œUploadโ€,[Customer Name],"-",[Customer Role],MONTH(TODAY()),DAY(TODAY()),YEAR(TODAY()))

2)This file name column ( described in step 1 above) can be used in the โ€œSave fileโ€ workflow in the field โ€œFile Name Prefixโ€ as shown in the image below. Apart from file name, the workflow also has โ€œFile Folder Pathโ€. After the workflow is invoked, the file gets saved at this designated path with name as captured in โ€œFile Name Prefixโ€

3)While calling the action to browse the uploaded file, one can use the โ€œExternal: Open a fileโ€ type action with file path as CONCATENATE(โ€œMyAttachments/MyCustomers/โ€,[AttachmentFileName],".pdf")

The approach may of course need suitable change (say in file name creation ) or may not even work based on how frequently and how many files you need for each record for example.

Hope this helps.

Top Labels in this Space