Case-sensitive true/false expression for required_if constraint

When adding rows to an automotive repair app, users should capture every vehicle's VIN via barcode scan for accuracy.  Some auto manufacturers place VIN stickers in hard-to-reach locations that can only be scanned with laser barcode readers.  In these cases, manual input is necessary and since VINs are 17 characters in length, there is high likelihood that typos will occur.

Knowing that typos are inevitable, when VIN barcodes cannot be scanned, employees are instructed to input only the last 8 characters and capture a photo of the VIN sticker in an image column.  When the length of [VIN] is less than 17 characters, then [VIN PHOTO] is a required value.  Some employees choose to ignore instructions and manually input the entire VIN because they figured out that the image capture is not required if 17 characters are present.

I realized this was occurring after noticing VINs containing lowercase letters in the backend spreadsheet.  Is it possible to create a required_if expression for [VIN PHOTO] if the value of [VIN] contains lowercase letters?

0 5 145
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The FIND() function is the only case-sensitive function.

(FIND(UPPER([_THIS]), [_THIS]) <> 0)

TRUE only if the original and the all-uppercase version of the original match; FALSE otherwise.

I'm not understanding what the expression would be comparing for a match, since there is only one column for the VIN.  Can you please clarify?

[_THIS] is whatever column the expression is being evaluated in. If you add [_THIS] to a [Date] column config, it's the same as [Date]

In your case it seems you want to add this to your Required_If of the [VIN PHOTO] column:

FIND(
  UPPER([VIN]),
  [VIN]
)<>0

Credits to @Steve, I didn't know FIND() was case sensitive.
I replaced [_THIS] with [VIN] because you'll use the expression on another column rather than [VIN]

I copied/pasted your expression and tested. It appeared to work at first when testing a VIN using lowercase letters, but now [VIN PHOTO] is required even when the VIN barcode is scanned and contains all uppercase letters

Is there anything that could be missing from the expression you provided?  At first, it appeared to work when testing a VIN using lowercase letters, but now [VIN PHOTO] is required even when the VIN barcode is scanned and contains all uppercase letters

Top Labels in this Space