Changing Duplicate Key Message to be more descriptive

I’ve got a simple form, that uses some specific values that I need to combine to create a key, as there are instances where the same item may be re-stocked at a later time.

I use values from column [Date] and column [Stock] for a combined key value.

What I want to do, is attempt to use the invalid IF message to be more descriptive, something along the lines of “there is already a duplicate entry for [date] & [Stock]”

Ive tried a couple ways with using the Invalid value error, but it doesnt seem to change the message on the form when a duplicate entry is created. Browsed here, and have found a few threads that are close, but nothing quite specific. Any help is apprecaited!

0 3 165
3 REPLIES 3

You can’t change that specific message. You could add a valid_if to some other column to check for the duplicate, and show a custom message there. Or use a Show type column with a show_if to display when there is a duplicate.

As simple as it sounds I added some text to the key column formula to include the description ‘Today’s’&[Date]&‘item stock number’&[Stock]. It works exactly as needed.

Thanks

If that works for you, then sure. But I’d highly suggest using UNIQUEID() for a key value in ever single Table.

Top Labels in this Space