Changing SQL database for all tables in one go

I'm trying to implement better version control.

I have a Development version of the App, and I use the Versions > App Upgrade to copy those changes across to the Production version when they are ready. That seems to work well.

My Issue - connecting to a Development SQL database.

I store all the data in a T-SQL database. I have ~40 tables. I would like to have separate development and production SQL databases too, so I can test away without risking real data. So I've connected the Development version of the app to the development sql database.

When I use Versions > App Upgrade to copy the changes to the production version, then it also links all the data tables to the development SQL database. I have to go through all ~40 tables to change their datasource each time back to production.

Is there a way to change the datasource for all datatables in one go? Or is there a better way to maintain production vs development whilst working with AppSheet and SQL? 

Solved Solved
1 2 163
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PhilTeare wrote:

s there a way to change the datasource for all datatables in one go? Or is there a better way to maintain production vs development whilst working with AppSheet and SQL? 

Unfortunately not.  We have to-repoint each table to the new datasource one by one and re-generate each table as we go.  It's a pain for sure.  This would be a good Feature Idea.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@PhilTeare wrote:

s there a way to change the datasource for all datatables in one go? Or is there a better way to maintain production vs development whilst working with AppSheet and SQL? 

Unfortunately not.  We have to-repoint each table to the new datasource one by one and re-generate each table as we go.  It's a pain for sure.  This would be a good Feature Idea.

It's precisely for this reason why I started including Temp columns in my tables.  If I'm actively working on a table, and I think I'll continue for a few weeks, I'll include some extra columns around the table for me to use.  

• This way if I need to add a new column, I've got something I can use.  And if I don't need anything, I can keep them hidden and they don't cause any problems - eventually I'll delete them out.

But this sort of thing has saved my bacon more times than I can count, and the reason why the Standard Start Template includes a temp column.

Top Labels in this Space