Chart that includes blank rows

I'm sure this is chart-building 101, but How can I show a Column Series chart that includes rows for dates that don't exist? In other words, how can I automatically add date rows when no entry has been made on that date in the app?

I am trying to show a bar chart that also tracks the blank days so that I can see it on a "timeline". See my mockup below:

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 11.49.05 AM.png

0 5 235
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Instead of charting on your data table, you'd need to start with a table of all possible dates.

I think I'm getting the concept of this part - every date must be a row in the table. I think my next question is: How do I add a date row, when I don't have an event to add..

For example, I am tracking what I eat every day in one table, in another table I am tracking the days I go to the gym, which is far from every day of the week. I don't want to have to open a form for that table every day just to enter "no workout". Does that make sense? Is there a way to automatically add todays date every day at 12:00am to my  Google Sheets table?

You could use a scheduled Bot to add a "blank" record at the end of every day if there isn't already one for that day.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/4865307-appsheet-automation-the-essentials

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

@DBook 

In addition to @Marc_Dillon 's suggestion, you could try the new-but-not-so-new chart editor:

Aurelien_2-1685418274580.png

Please note of the warning "this can make the app unstable".

Aurelien_0-1685418222531.pngAurelien_1-1685418252086.png

Once I start grasping some of the basic charts, I'll dig into some of the advanced options for sure.

Top Labels in this Space