Charting from different tables

I have two "running logs" for my wife and I. I would like to have a histogram chart that shows one column for her total miles and one column for my total miles, comparing the two as in a contest.

Right now I have two separate charts in a dashboard view showing totals, but when just want one.

I can't seem to pull data from two tables for use in one chart? Is this possible?

0 7 306
7 REPLIES 7

You shouldn't have used two tables on the first place.

Just one and an extra column for "CreatedBy" or something like that.

You can't take two datasets to create just one chart

@SkrOYC is correct, this should have been built as a single table. However, if it too difficult to change that now, another option, if your data source is Google Sheet, is to combine the two sheets into another sheet using QUERY function - Google Docs Editors Help and then pull that third sheet in (read only) to populate the chart.

Thank you both. I started with the hope of ONE table, but ran into not understanding how to separate the data for two users. In principle I get that I would have a drop down list or something that my wife would select to then record "her" miles, but I'm not familiar with how to do that in one table. BTW, it does seem useful that you would what a chart that compares two or more tables?

The problem is that if you want to compare two tables in general they have similar data, so one table keeps beign the best option.

About your problem with one table:
You need to have the extra column and place an initial value of USEREMAIL() so it's added automatically. This column can be hidden from the form view

Okay, I think I'm getting closer to understanding. One table will work, but I need to know what to learn. How do I (or what do I need to learn) have one table that adds data to one of two(or more) places based on data in a cell. Meaning, I want a drop down list where my wife selects her name, then enters her "MILES". When she hits "SAVE" the data is entered into the master table, but under "HER" column. When I enter my "MILES" I select my name from the same dropdown and the data is entered in "my" column?

I'm not asking for a step by step, mostly just what is this called, then I can look it up and learn it.

The idea would be that the 'runner' would be one column and then 'miles' would be another. Probably you would also have columns for date, location etc. When a user enters their mileage, their userid (for example email address) would be recorded automatically in the 'runner' column. Then you can report by runner. You would not have a separate column for the mileage of each runner.

Top Labels in this Space