Charts - Daily Time Series

This is probably a simple question, but canโ€™t figure out how to do it!

I have a dataset with three variables, [category], [date], [measure]
I would like to create a line chart where the x-axis is [date], the y-axis is [measure] and the graph only presents 1 level of category (either by drop down, or via table/dashboard)

Can anyone help?

0 9 1,502
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Attach you chart to a slice.

Thanks, itโ€™s less the slicing more using the date on a time series that I am having issues with. I canโ€™t seem to get the X axis to show the date field:

The Figure below should show [date] on the axis instead it shows the [category]

On my chart view I donโ€™t seem to have the option to select date at any point (e.g. chart columns does not allow selection of dates).
Iโ€™m probably missing something obvious as this seems like a pretty simple graphicโ€ฆ

Iโ€™ve also got the same problem. Iโ€™ve worked with Appsheet charts a lot and have never realised that you actually canโ€™t have a chart with time (or date, or datetime) as the x-axis!

Surely this is an omission!

If I want to chart [Blood Pressure] against [DateTime] where [Blood Pressure] is Decimal and [DateTime] is a Datetime then the best I can do is to have [DateTime] as the label.

But this is not actually what @Dave_Inman or myself were really after. It displays the points in a sequence, but if you miss a week then this gap will not be reflected in the chart because itโ€™s just a sequence of dots with lables.

The behaviour that @Dave_Inman or myself were really after is a real plot of how a parameter varies with time.

Try it. Itโ€™s impossible.

@TDhers This is pretty much exactly what we were discussing RE: Resource histograms. Often for date/datetimeโ€ฆ Itโ€™s important to be able to define that continuity somehowโ€ฆ

These charts for example display process parameters.

Plotting things in โ€˜timeโ€™ has GOT to be the most popular use of charts surely โ€ฆ

Itโ€™s only months later that I realise that itโ€™s not actually a plot of a value against time โ€ฆ

itโ€™s only data ordered by a label.

And hence any gaps will not be rendered correctly on the chart because every point only has a y-value and a label.

I also note that if Iโ€™m happy to have no actual x-axis (i.e. use dates as labels) then my y-axis DOES zoom to the data range being displayed โ€ฆ

But if I want to plot an X-Y plot (which I can ONLY achieve by constructing a virtual numeric column expressing each date as a decimal number of days from today) then my y0axis DOESNโ€™T zoom to the data range being displayed โ€ฆ

The expected behaviour would be to have it zoom the same.

TDhers

TDhers

Yes, totally agreed and understood.

Top Labels in this Space