Checkbox and data adding to a specific row

Hello everyone, I am very new to AppSheet and have 2 questions.
I currently have a google sheet as below, and had chose to create an Appsheet for this

1. After creating the AppSheet, when adding new record, for the column Cash, Bank, Paypal, they show the options as yes or no. When I chose either of them, it will return the data in Google Sheet as TRUE or FALSE. I wonder is there a way that it will return the data as checkbox like my current Google sheet?

2. I want to have new record added above the TOTAL row so whenever a new record is added, the TOTAL row will be automatically calculated; instead of being added to the below row with no Formatting.

Thank you very much

0 4 1,285
  • UX
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Tony241

Appsheet will not save values as checkboxes in your GoogleSheet but I can defintaly think of a few ways with Google App Script and conditional formating to format your Google Sheet database as youโ€™d want it to look.

However, I donโ€™t recommand it. I totaly connect with the feeling of wanting to keep on referring to your Google Sheets for reading/observing your data, as you must have been doing before AppSheet.

But the idea here is that your Google Sheet is just a database, It may look ungly but the less tweaking you do with it, the better it should be for the app and realibility of your data.

Iโ€™d encourage you to look into AppSheetโ€™s different views, tables, and charts to consume your data. You can do wonders with it.

If you still wnt to go ahead, below shared instrucitons can probably help. With custom checkboxes, when appsheet will save โ€œTrueโ€ โ€“ GoogleSheetโ€™s data validation will convert it to a checkbox, however how appsheet reads back the value is still a question that I donโ€™t have an answer for.

Good luck

Add custom checkbox values

You can add checkboxes with custom values. For example, the custom checked value could be โ€œYes,โ€ and the unchecked value could be โ€œNo.โ€

1. On your computer, open a spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
  2. Select the cells you want to have checkboxes.
  3. In the menu at the top, click Data 3X_f_5_f559cd13d8aa2ddb63689c98fec6044b1c356e41.png Data validation .
  4. Next to โ€œCriteria,โ€ choose Checkbox .
  5. Click Use custom cell values .
  6. Next to โ€œChecked,โ€ enter a value.
  7. Optional: Next to โ€œUnchecked,โ€ enter a value.
  8. Click Save .

When you use checkboxes feature in GSheet, the actual data values stored in the cells are TRUE and FALSE. The checkbox is just a formatting on the cell. So what you really need is for the formatting to copy over to new records coming in.

The best way to do this is to delete all of the empty rows in your GSheet, then format the column in question as checkboxes. When any new records are input via appsheet, the formatting should automatically copy down to the new row. See these screenshots:

3X_3_7_37251bd3b08ce1341c2ac7cfa5b2e788a8dada11.png
Here you see row 19 is the last record, and all blank rows underneath have been deleted, and the checkbox formatting is applied to the whole column to the bottom. Then after I add a new record from appsheet:
3X_2_3_23b8e19a03b906b5ee48f955a8d1e188e05dafc4.png
Row 20, the checkbox formatting copied through. This same technique actually works for all formatting.

Thank you @Marc_Dillon , it actually works!
However, for the 2nd question, how can I have the new data insert above the TOTAL row as I want to have the new data added to the total.
Thank you again

You canโ€™t. New records always go on the bottom.

Top Labels in this Space